Can't we make SMPS simpler?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was going through some simple SMPS circuits based on IRS2153D and came across a few variations. Most commonly the output MOSFETs are coupled to the transformer as shown in fig-1. Can't we make it simpler as shown in fig-2?

Note: This circuit uses mains voltage (and voltage doubler for 120v) so that the DC rail will be around 340v. This schematic is primarily conceptual, so capacitor values and voltage ratings will vary depending on specific requirement.

Thanks!

Note that there is an error in the schematic (but I can't edit pictures), PIN-6 of IR2153 should be connected to the MOSFET output.

Attachments

• fig-1.jpg
    fig-1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 334
  • fig-2.jpg
    fig-2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Yes, you can connect directly in the first circuit.
But C7 can be quite useful to tune the whole circuit to an LLC-converter!

With clock frequency adjusted to the upper, series resonance of the LLC tank, this gives you less losses and lowest output impedance without the need for a regulating loop.

Pracitically this requires a transformer with very poor coupling.

Yes, you can connect directly in the first circuit.
But C7 can be quite useful to tune the whole circuit to an LLC-converter!

With clock frequency adjusted to the upper, series resonance of the LLC tank, this gives you less losses and lowest output impedance without the need for a regulating loop.

Pracitically this requires a transformer with very poor coupling.

For LLC I usually wind the secondary next to the primary instead of on top of it. I separate the windings with a tie wrap.

Power Integrations makes several all in one SMPS off line products. They also have on line design tools.

Power Integrations offers a range of power conversion ICs that can provide reliable, efficient, low cost power solutions for audio power applications. Capable of supporting peak power requirements in excess of three times average power requirements with no increase in transformer size, the PeakSwitch™ product family is ideal for supporting applications with large peak loads, such as:

Audio amplifiers
Computer audio
Home theater
MP3 music players
MP3 audio systems
Digital radio applications

Welcome To Power Integrations | Power Integrations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.