Learning how to BUCK DC-DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking at how some plate amplifiers get their power and how they function. I have been playing with Klipsch plate amplifier power supples. From what I have learned they use a self oscilating push pull AC/DC converter. This converter feeds what looks to be a buck converter to keep the rails at the needed levels to provide output. (class G or H?) I would like to learn how this works and use this setup for development.

If I ignore the initial AC/DC converter and just focus on the buck I will learn alot. I have ~90VDC that I would like to bring down to 48VDC. 1:2 should be easy to obtain with a simple buck and will not require any modifications to the existing transformer. This will also allow for a regulated output similar to the origonal design.

I am able to understand the component calculations but I do not know what exactly I need to control this.

My assumptions are that I will need a small switchmode regulator to power the controller but I do not see any controllers that show a setup like this. I see that there are some 100V controllers out there but I have measured excess of 108VDC on the output with no load. The input voltage for the buck will range from 65V to 110V.

Texas Instruments provides some design tools to give a starting point for the passive components but I do not know where to start with the switching controller, especially if the controller will require a seperate supply.

I have been looking at the following controller and similar others but they do not have an application that shows a simple buck.

AC/DC and Isolated DC/DC Power Supply - PWM and Resonant Controller - UCC38C40 - TI.com

I may not be doing this the correct way, so I am asking someone with greater knowledge to provide me some input.

The goal of the project is to use this power supply to power a TAS5630

I tried web bench from ti.com to design the buck converter but it could not design this voltage range.

I did the same thing. This is due to the fact that almost all of their controllers are powered from the input. That is also why I was thinking of using an aux supply to power the controller. I will try to make a schematic of the original buck and see how it works. If I draw it up maybe I can spice simulate it or someone can decode the functionality of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.