robbing from the positive rail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So lets keep this generic..if I need +/- dc voltage for one circuit pulling a heavier load, and a positive only dc regulated voltage of another part of the device pulling a light load, and have only one transformer with dual secondaries, can I take the light load from only the one rail without upsetting things too much? I have a (poor) diagram below to help me explain. I know there are no fuses, etc.. this diagram is only to quickly illustrate my question and is not a final design.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PSU.png
    PSU.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 192
If you read his post again he needs the +/- split PSU.

Unbalancing the PSU does have an affect, allbeit small. Can you not just add a 1A load to the -ve supply to keep it all in balance ?

Sorry, you're right. My bad. Misread the 24V 1A as the 'main voltage requirement'.:(
One could add a separate, second bridge rectifier across the secondary series transformer output but looks like the OP would then have to 'tame' a high voltage to meet requirements (assuming the second supply is required for driving relays or similar).

Last edited:
three terminal (3T) regulators need 3V headroom (min) . more than that heat sinking and power waste become a concern. check v span unloaded to max load from the transformer.
BTW > Better grounding is thru 2 bridge rectifiers grounded after the Capacitor banks. instead of grounded at the transformer using a single bridge ( good threads on this )

Just thinking aloud. If it is a toroidal transformer, why not wind an auxiliary winding on the toroid for the 12V supply.

can be done, usually only for low voltage and low power , other than that it becomes impractical, fitting more copper on a limited area.
wind 10 or so turns using a gauge properly sized for the current. lightly loaded, measure the voltage > calculate volts / turn . to decide.

So lets keep this generic..if I need +/- dc voltage for one circuit pulling a heavier load, and a positive only dc regulated voltage of another part of the device pulling a light load, and have only one transformer with dual secondaries, can I take the light load from only the one rail without upsetting things too much? I have a (poor) diagram below to help me explain. I know there are no fuses, etc.. this diagram is only to quickly illustrate my question and is not a final design.

Thanks!

not enough info to answer
what exactly are the two loads?
what transformer? the data sheet has some info on regulation and loading. use it to calc. the equivalent R of each winding.

if the aux reg current is a significant % over the other side a misbalance can exist.
quiescent conditions are probably worst case.
It just takes ohms law here.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as the load on the positive voltage is light , like to power a couple opamps in single supply mode ....

Ive built a few chip amps that had a preamp tone control section using a couple opamps in a single supply configuration and didn't have any problems but I was probably using less then 30ma of current ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.