Power supply caps: They're not all equal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Infinia, you are sounding silly.

For a cap in the reservoir position, (ie after a trafo and bridge), the current peaks from the "top-up" effect cause local cap heating. Simple ohms law (I^2R) with the Internal resistance.

One problem is it is difficult to quantify the heating effect of this current since it is short pulses every mains cycle. The specs are probably RMS related. In an audio application where the current is the load, which then gets reflected back to the cap top-up pulses, this varies enormously.

The temperature rating is ambient. In a big computer PSU delivering constant 100s of amps this can be critical.

In audio?? It should be easy to conservatively rate reservoir caps, but you go ahead and stick big ones in and be happy.

silly? I design offline SMPS usually starting with half wave voltage doublers or full wave directly connected to the mains

This is exactly what is found inside of servers and other types of electronic office equipment. It is typically configured on its own PC board away from other circuitry. It is well shielded from the chassis with thick plastic. There are also little lightning bolts on the PC board to warn people not to poke around it.

The output voltage is also isolated from the mains with a high frequency transformer.

I was shocked when I discovered this. But it makes sense for a switching power supply.

Please do not recommend this procedure for DIY. You have no idea how much a reader may or may not know about electricity. I know that we have some pretty green noobs lurking and sometimes posting. Let's not kill them off.

Please do not recommend this procedure for DIY. You have no idea how much a reader may or may not know about electricity. I know that we have some pretty green noobs lurking and sometimes posting. Let's not kill them off.

no it's not a procedure it's a recognized technique of SMPS described in words. I'm not suggesting to anybody to build a mains connected circuit to check their ripple current specs.:no:
silly indeed

I was shocked when I discovered this.

you shouldn't be messin around with stuff with warnings. LOL

Last edited:
no it's not a procedure it's a recognized technique of SMPS described in words. I'm not suggesting to anybody to build a mains connected circuit to check their ripple current specs.:no:
silly indeed

No, I'm saying that it's a bad idea to recommend transformerless power supplies for DIYers. It's freaking dangerous.

I'm well aware of how modern commercial industrial electronic equipment is designed and manufactured.

you shouldn't be messin around with stuff with warnings. LOL

Ha ha I thought about that after I posted.

My pearls of wisdom go ridiculed by the audiophilla masses.
sad

Not really. I get your point. Do you get mine?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.