Can I use this supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2014, 12:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can I use this supply

I have a sub plate amp that is not repairable. The power supply however is still working well. It has a SMPS that outputs 90V. The power supply was rated to support 200W continuous audio output. 2 of the taps from the transformer are ran through diodes facing the same way I am guesing for current increase. I figure this could be split into +-90V by adding 2 diodes in the reversed direction.

Is there a 100V single supply amp or a 100V dual supply amp that is not too complicated to build that will deliver ~200W @ 8ohms

So far all I have found was this:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/snas396d/snas396d.pdf

I would hate to junk something that I could have fun with. The supply also has 2 aux supplies 1 at +-35V 2A and one at +35v 500ma

Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 09:26 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

200W into 8ohms is equivalent to 40Vac and 56.6Vpk into your load.
You don't need +-90Vdc supply rails to get that.

a +-65VdcPSU should easily let you exceed your 200W target.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Did you measure the supply, is it 90V single ended? That might support 200W into 4 ohms (see Andrews post above).
Building an amp that supports +/-90V is a very difficult project, I would stay away from that!
But using the 90V for a +/-45V amp looks doable, though the circuit complexity increases due to the single ended supply.
Not an easy choice.

Jan
Old 24th January 2014, 05:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

90V single ended would be the best option. That would give 0/90V Single ended. I will search some more to see what I can find. How could this be split to +/-45V
Old 24th January 2014, 05:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazifunguy View Post
90V single ended would be the best option. That would give 0/90V Single ended. I will search some more to see what I can find. How could this be split to +/-45V
For a power amp? Forget it.
Try to find a power amp that runs on unipolar supply.
Better yet: put the supply in your showcase and get another one, +/-45V

Jan
Old 24th January 2014, 06:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Why not use it in half bridge mode to get +-45V, Crazifunguy can still have some crazy fun with it, just double the capacitor values on the supply to keep the rails up.
Old 24th January 2014, 06:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I understand it is a double-phase rectified center tapped xformer.
Old 24th January 2014, 07:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am going to hook my scope up to this thing to figure out how it works. I will be honest I am power supply dumb at the current moment.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

So I took some measurements and the SMPS is putting out a square wave with some overshoot and the rising and falling edge. A DMM reads ~48V ac on both taps when half rectified it reads 107VDC no load and ~77VDC with a 100W load. I suppose something is dooable but I will need an amp that can support some serious rails. Any final ideas or feedback on the part that I listed? This is mainly for fun but I do have 9 of these supplies in my parts box. They were cut off from damaged Klipsch Sub 10 amplifiers.
Old 25th January 2014, 06:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Half Bridge

Here is a half bridge implementation. You will have to modify the supply by changing the components. Use the same diodes that is currently used.

An other option is that you clip open the transformer, remove the aux windings that you don't want and then modify the winding that you do want to be center tapped. On a switch mode PSU there are not many windings and is pretty simple to modify.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fun.jpg (25.2 KB, 131 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!