High current voltage regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there Diyers!

Pretty new to the Audio DIY world. Read a lot on te subject and can't seem to find te answer i need/locate right parts.

I'm building a Power supply for this amp:
2x250W IRS2092 Class-D Amplifier Board | 320-313

This amp require 2x60v 12.5Amp power rails... and it need to be regulated...

The question is:
What kind of voltage regulator chip/circuit do i need to regulate that PSU?

If more info is needed feel free to ask, I'll deliver to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

I have designed and built loads of irs2092 based amps and they dont need a regulated supply. You will get away with using moderately sized smoothing capacitors.

The 2092 has a feedback loop so hum shouldn't be a problem, I have certainly had no problems with hum.

In fact I found a problem if you use too large smoothing capacitors in the 2092 amps, I got a huge turn off thump through the speaker.
I ask IR about it and they suggested a power supply monitor to hold the 2092 in reset when the VCC got low.
So I now just stick to 10,000uf per rail per 500watts output power.

The link you give doesn't suggest a regulated supply.

Last edited:
Hi, Yes it does, in the Note, rgds, sreten.

48 VDC 12.5A 600W Regulated Power Supply | 320-317

OK spotted it now.

I still don't think a regulated supply is needed.
But there is no reason why you shouldnt use a regulated SMPS.

"Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR)
The IRAUDAMP7D obtains good power supply rejection ratio of -65 dB at 1kHz shown in Fig 20.
With this high PSRR, IRAUDAMP7D accepts any power supply topology as far as the supply
voltages fit in the min and max range.
"

Ok so no needs for regulation! Fine for me!

The Power supply will consist of a 800VA 45-0-45 Yavel Toroidal transformner
2 400V 25A Rectifier diodes block
And where i got overkill 5x 10000uF caps per rail.

Which should give me about 63Vdc at the output

I'm kind of trying to build this schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know that not enough capacitance is not good but what is the downside of too much?

Ok so no needs for regulation! Fine for me!

The Power supply will consist of a 800VA 45-0-45 Yavel Toroidal transformner
2 400V 25A Rectifier diodes block
And where i got overkill 5x 10000uF caps per rail.

Which should give me about 63Vdc at the output

I'm kind of trying to build this schematic:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I know that not enough capacitance is not good but what is the downside of too much?

DOWNSIDE of too much is nothing but max current to charge them during initial start up. Diodes must strong enough to tolerate it (or you put in place current limiter). But huge caps will give you good and articulated bass. But again, it depends also on Amp output DAMPING factor. If factor is low, then it makes no sense to invest in capacitors. If factor is high, say 1000, then you need good capacitors to provide the current to you outputs transistors. It is obvious things, actually.

This is how I understand it. I got my Amp made at home and to make it sounds good I placed power supply capacitors very close to output transistor. Say, 20 mm distance in between them. And it sounds quite good, but again, it has damping factor 1000.

DOWNSIDE of too much is nothing but max current to charge them during initial start up. Diodes must strong enough to tolerate it (or you put in place current limiter). But huge caps will give you good and articulated bass. But again, it depends also on Amp output DAMPING factor. If factor is low, then it makes no sense to invest in capacitors. If factor is high, say 1000, then you need good capacitors to provide the current to you outputs transistors. It is obvious things, actually.

This is how I understand it. I got my Amp made at home and to make it sounds good I placed power supply capacitors very close to output transistor. Say, 20 mm distance in between them. And it sounds quite good, but again, it has damping factor 1000.

The amp i'll use have a factor of 120. If i get you right 50K of caps i too much then?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The transformer secondary is rated 45 Vrms. That's (45 x sqrt(2)) = 63.6 volts peak. Subtracting two diode drops in the rectifier bridge, the DC voltage across the 10,000uF capacitor {and 2.2K resistor} is about 61.6 volts. Power dissipated in a resistor is (V^2)/R, so for this 2200 ohm resistor, power = (61.6 x 61.6) / 2200 = 1.724 watts = Pactual.

I myself prefer to design using Prated >= 3.0 x Pactual. So I prefer Prated >= (3.0 x 1.724), namely, Prated >= 5.1 watts. I would prefer to use 5 watt, 2.2K resistors at those positions in the circuit. The number "3.0" is a margin of safety.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.