Switched power supplies better sometimes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to power a T class amp in an active speaker build. There seems to be some consensus that a decent switched power supply is every bit as good as a linear supply for this application.

Have my eye on this item. eBay number - 261364459820

And there seems to be a lack of people who experiment with quality shunt regs for linear power supplies for Tamps - is there a reason for this?

Thanks in advance - LB

And there seems to be a lack of people who experiment with quality shunt regs for linear power supplies for Tamps - is there a reason for this?

One reason could be it seems like a conflicting philosophy. A shunt regulated supply is in effect a class A power supply. Switching amps are the antithesis of class A - their aim is high efficiency.

If a person's concerned about efficiency they'd use a switching amp with an unregulated linear supply or perhaps a switcher. A person using shunt regs would be one trying to get the best SQ - in which case they'd eschew switching amps for not delivering the sonic goods.

Hi,

SMPS and T-amps simply go together well, whats to argue about ?

Nobody in their right mind would use shunt regulation for any
sort of power amplifier except for a very purist class A design.

Its a very bad idea in all respects for a T-amp, and most amps.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you have and what you know.
I have quite a few transformers that only have 2 secondary wires and I want to attempt using them for class D.
I keep searching but have yet to find a diagram of a linear power supply for a class D amp.
I've read about 60 of the 100+ pages on this power supply board, I'll let you know if I find one.

Thanks fellas - I'll go for the switched power supply. I come from building class A amps and DACs where lots of folk rant about linear supply and regulated supply.

I am listening to a Topping TP2020 mk2, regulation switched power supply, and it sounds wonderful as is. Quite simply magic in fact.

Appreciate you thoughts - LB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.