Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LM317+TL431, really?
LM317+TL431, really?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2015, 11:22 PM   #171
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Member

LM317+TL431, really?
I just posted some TL431 measured data that might be of interest to readers of this thread:

TL431 "dropout voltage" measurement: 1.96V
Old 22nd June 2018, 08:28 AM   #172
mikolaj612 is offline mikolaj612
diyAudio Member

Hello.
Sorry for bumping a really old thread.

But I've got some question in regards to LM317 (and LM337 too) and those circuit presented here (some variations of TL431 as a reference).
And I think it will be better to add a new post than making a new thread and refering here etc.

So let's start.
Does it really worth it? After all there is no simple answer here.
After looking at preamp.org plots it's really hard to see any real benefits between typical circuit (with CAdj added) and good TL431/Zener, after all 1/f noise is not my concern here.
But after all there was more circuits presented here which was not refered and tested by preamp.org owner.

How about replacing TL431 (even those that are mentioned here as a good) with LM329 or something else? Just to play, we are not talking about cost/solution size.

Few pages back there was a speech about BFC, placing a capacitors to compensate TL431 etc. does it really worth it? Some pictures from this thread are not available.

I'm just thinking about improving LM317 and LM337 performance because I've got plenty of them at home and I see them widely used in many circuits (for audio), so it might be worth it.
TL431 is also cheap and buying some CRD diode as a constant current source is not a big deal.

Another question is, if Tl431 play with output impedance does output inductance will change (vs. load) typical LM317 have rather high output inductance at low load (below 50mA) and it will be rather constant up to 1.5A if we go further than 50-100mA.
I'm asking because it will be important to choice a proper ESR capacitor or series resistor to avoid any resonance.

Anyone here was talking about LM317, but there is almost no talk about LM337 and no measurements of his brother.
So taking this opportunity to ask I just want to know few things.
So if improvements are visible with LM317 will it still be worth implementing with LM337 which is considered as a better IC?
Does any of you got a plot or info about output inductance vs load for typical LM337 circuit (with and without CAdj).

I think that it would be nice to play with both with similiar care and effort.
But most data was taken with LM317 only.

LM317+TL431, really?Hide this!Advertise here!