Beefing up old PSU filter caps - advice needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On some old equipment I really like –-a Dual RC 5900 receiver-- and which I'm intending to revamp, I would like to improve the PSU filter caps (6800uF), but I’m wary of removing them, since they appear to be thoroughly glued on to the PCB. So I am considering of adding some new, high-performance low ESR caps in parallel with them and underneath the PCB, hence of a limited physical size.

Would adding some 1000uF worth of high quality caps make a difference? Would it make the circuit more efficient for filtering? I assume it would lower the ESR, right?

Any other thoughts? Thanks a lot!!!

Update

Old electrolytics are the most common failure mechanism in old electronics. Get them out and replace them. Even if they are glued to the PCB - do everything to be careful to the PCB and take them out.

ALthough I'm pretty skilled, removing some glued-on caps in equipment that is dear to me is the last option--for now, I am hoping for some improvement by adding some more caps in parallel...

I've done this many times. Please don't keep the old ones... They will for sure cause problems. Use a sharp knife to cut through the glue around the cap. Desolder the old ones using a "sucker" and braid to clean it properly. Use good solder like wbt 0820..

My suggestion is; Elna for audio (ebay) 8200uf and voltage no less then the old ones.

ALthough I'm pretty skilled, removing some glued-on caps in equipment that is dear to me is the last option--for now, I am hoping for some improvement by adding some more caps in parallel...

Not a good idea. Don't be a fool. Follow the advice and get them out
before they do harm.

Too much capacitance can kill diodes and/or secondary transformer windings due to exceedingly high inrush current, keep that in mind.

Dave, stay real. Adding 1000 µF to the existing 6.800 µF ones certainly
won't kill any diodes.

I'd pull them out and put some decent new 10.000 µF in. Work done. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.