150W DC-DC questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2013, 02:57 AM   #1
MrCray is offline MrCray  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default 150W DC-DC questions

Hi all

I'm putting together a car system, and am looking at power supplies.

I'm thinking of using a DC-DC converter like This to power an amp unit like This.

Any suggestions on bridging 2 to power the 2.1 version Here?

Does anyone know what power devices they are using?

Thanks any and all
Old 7th November 2013, 03:30 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Looks promising.

Make sure you filter between the PS and amp with a good CLC.

Take note that their text says that more than 100W needs more heatsinking, etc.
Old 7th November 2013, 04:31 AM   #3
MrCray is offline MrCray  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Yah I'm going to fan force them, as the power usage of the 2ch unit should be about 110w, which is a bit close to it's Imax to me. probably into a case and a tunnel. That's why I'm curious as to what devices are in these things; then I'll know whether I need a different unit (if for example they can't load share) ; or whether I can get away by bolting 2 of 'em together and strapping them to yahweh's own heat sink.

Also, as the 2 and 2.1 channel units will be operating as modular building blocks, I want to be able to swap them out for other types later as I get them (e.g. tp2020, generic class a FET, AB chipamp ala 3886 etc), so I'll need to be able to beef up the power later as needed. I'm all good with filtering, my first boss had me messing with assorted pro audio gear and when it wasn't properly decoupled & filtered I got rocks thrown at me hahaha.

I figured, as I'm keeping this vehicle for a few years, that I might as well have some fun with it; and (if you'll pardon my turn of phrase) any idiot can make 'em loud, I want to make it sound like a high end home unit or pro audio setup.

Hide this!Advertise here!