Where is my voltage going?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently building an Impasse Pre-Amplifier, I know that is tube based but the PSU is SS.

My question is - "Where are my volts going ?"

All the voltages below are with the PSU loaded at its designed 40mA.

The transformer is a 650VAC CT. And at the anodes of D101 and D102 I do indeed have 700VAC.

At the cathodes of D101 and D102 I only have 400VDC, I would expect 455VDC.

R103 is 470R and across it I have 18.8V (correct).

R104 is 1K and across it I have 40V (correct).

So why is the rectified 650V so low ?

R101 and R102 are small 47R resistors.

D101 and D102 are uF4007.

Attachments

• Impasse.jpg
    Impasse.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Parts List.JPG
    Parts List.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
R108 sets the output voltage of the reg. Variations in tolerance just affect the exact regulator output voltage... by how much... you would have to look at the data sheet for the IC to get the relationship of R108 and R109 (which set the voltage) and then work out upper and lower output voltages for worst case tolerances).

No competent design should depend so exactly on normal tolerances that it makes the difference between it working and not.

If you use LTspice I can post the file and then you can change component values and see the effect on the voltages.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The reg needs some overhead to work properly, usually around at least 5 volts and that must include any ripple "effects" too. If Vin is less than the calculated regulator voltage then the output will just be low and follow the input voltage less a few volts. In that state it doesn't regulate. A design like this is very dependent on "absolutes". If the current drawn is a bit higher or lower than specified then the input voltage to reg varies a lot because its such a high impedance feed on the input side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.