Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide
diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2017, 10:03 AM   #611
mrdave45 is offline mrdave45  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm scratching my head a bit here. If my cap has an esr of 22mohm, does that really mean that with a 24v rail it will try to draw at 1091A until its charged? Presumably here, the dc resistance of the secondary would actually limit this. I suspect that this is actually quite a complex thing to work out as there's so much changing at power up.
What happens on the secondary as you turn on and get the massive current on the primary before the fields have stabilised?
Old 19th October 2017, 10:07 AM   #612
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

10ohms of soft start has very little effect on a 240Vac mains supply.
The peak starting current could be as high as 240Vac/10ohms = 24Aac or 340Vpk/10ohms = 34Apk
The CL60 works well for 110/120Vac mains supplies, but expect at least double that for the harmonised mains supplies on this side of the Atlantic.
I typically use between 30ohms (1000VA) and 140ohms (160VA) as soft start depending on transformer VA & type.
Old 19th October 2017, 10:11 AM   #613
diyAudio Member

The Power Thermistor manufacturers publish application notes describing the method of determining the Thermistor resistance value and Power rating for combinations of voltage and capacitance. All of these slow charging Power Thermistors are in the capacitor circuit.
I don't believe that placing the Power thermistor on the primary side with the capacitance on the secondary side behaves as required by the manufacturers' method.

I have never seen a app note example for a slow charge circuit separated from it's capacitance by a mains transformer. I too am not man enough to think through the modelling required to predict how this behaves.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:08 AM   #614
reddish75 is offline reddish75  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Could anyone tell me the lengthy of the capacitor part to the pcb without the rectifier part?

Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 01:35 PM   #615
reedcat is offline reedcat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddish75 View Post
Could anyone tell me the lengthy of the capacitor part to the pcb without the rectifier part?
Capacitor PCB sections are 119mm x 78mm, rectifier PCB are 52mm by 78mm each. All dimensions are here
Old 25th November 2017, 03:31 PM   #616
rock12 is offline rock12  United States
diyAudio Member

Building the honey badger amp with this power supply any suggestions on parts
Old 9th January 2018, 08:13 PM   #617
Zapped is offline Zapped
diyAudio Member

I have a bunch of these AC interference caps, but their capacitance is a bit higher than the .0033 microfarad units recommended for the general power supply, and they are polypropylene instead of ceramic. Can I use them in the 110 volt power supply for my F5? These X2 units are rated at 275 vac

https://www.conrad.com/medias/global...B.EPS_1000.jpg

Thank you for any guidance you can give.

Larry Wright
"Zapped" (but looking to avoid the situation in the future)

(I tried to directly post the photo here but it did not seem to paste in properly. Maybe too high a resolution of the photo. Dunno)
Old 10th January 2018, 09:27 AM   #618
diyAudio Member

X2 capacitors are suitable for direct connection from Live to Neutral of mains supplies upto 250Vac.

Check the pixel size and the file size/type.
If needed crop the pic to show what we NEED to see. If needed resize to a resolution that we NEED to see the detail required. I use Irfanview.
Attach pics using the Forum's procedure.
How to attach images to your posts.
Old 10th January 2018, 08:52 PM   #619
Zapped is offline Zapped
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the information, Andrew.

Larry Wright

diyAudio Power Supply Circuit Board v3 illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!