Help identify wires please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, can somebody please help? From a old ken wood Ss I picked up.
I was thinking green = earth, red posotive....

Much appreciated.

Pa: My experience so far is with dual secondary toroidials.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 76
FOR MAINS TRANSFORMER ONLY

At a guess one winding is GREEN-GREEN
Another is possibly ORANGE-ORANGE.

Start as NEZBLUE states and ascertain which wires constitute a winding.

Once you have each winding labelled, tabulate the resistance of each winding.
The lower resistances will usually be the secondaries and the higher resistances the primaries. (Unless it is an output transformer).

Now, using a low voltage mains transformer, you can supply a known LOW VOLTAGE (say 5VAC), to the winding with the least resistance.

If you then measure the voltage out of each winding you will have a starting point to work with. Be careful as some of the windings may have several hundreds of volts on them.

If you publish the windings, resistance and measured voltages from above we can have a stab at helping you.

Ok then will do thanks for the guidance.
FOR MAINS TRANSFORMER ONLY

At a guess one winding is GREEN-GREEN
Another is possibly ORANGE-ORANGE.

Start as NEZBLUE states and ascertain which wires constitute a winding.

Once you have each winding labelled, tabulate the resistance of each winding.
The lower resistances will usually be the secondaries and the higher resistances the primaries. (Unless it is an output transformer).

Now, using a low voltage mains transformer, you can supply a known LOW VOLTAGE (say 5VAC), to the winding with the least resistance.

If you then measure the voltage out of each winding you will have a starting point to work with. Be careful as some of the windings may have several hundreds of volts on them.

If you publish the windings, resistance and measured voltages from above we can have a stab at helping you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.