Low Wattage Bleeder Resistors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an 18vac toroid that I'm hooking into a power supply circuit but I don't have any 2 watt resistors to bleed the caps. Can I use 4x of my 1/4w resistors at maybe 33k instead of 1x 2w resistor at 2.2k?

Attachments

• F02-LM3886-power-supply.png
    F02-LM3886-power-supply.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 114
This will change the discharge time, so if you do it, just have it on your mind and be careful: the time constant if you use two 33k in parallel for each cap will go up by a factor of 7-8 - if you needed a minute to charge them off, now you need half a quarter in theory.

Wattage-wise you should be fine, a 33k across a 25V voltage dissipates around 18mW.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
In your shoes I would probably use four (8.2K, 0.25W) resistors in parallel. These will give you a margin of safety large enough to accept 110% mains input and, at the same time, (Vno_load = 115% of Vmax_load), while keeping each resistor's dissipation below 125 milliwatts. That's half of their 250 mW rating.

Math: { (18 x 1.1 x 1.15 x sqrt(2))^2 } / 8200 = dissipation per resistor, in watts

If paralleled resistors are tightly bundled together, their cumulative power rating must be decreased. Four 1/4 watt resisitors bundled together shouldn't be counted on to dissapate any more than about 1/2 watt total to be safe.

Mike

I was thinking run 2 on the top of the board and 2 on the bottom to space them out a little bit.

Also, I was thinking of 4, 1/4w resistors per rail, but I'm reading here that 2 would be "safe" but with a higher discharge time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.