wierd rectifier output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a problem with my rectifier output. The transformer output is:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and after rectifying, it becomes:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm using a Avel Y236653 transformer and kbpc2504 rectifier.

I have tested the rectifier with a 9v battery + DMM, and my connections should be correct, so um... what's going on?

I put the DMM in diode mode unconnected, and it says 3.14v. Then:

red | black | reading
AC1|DC+ | .46
DC-|AC2 | .46
AC2|DC+ | .46
DC-|AC1 | .46
DC-|DC+ | .84

All other connections are 3.14.

Looking at the terminal side of the rectifier, if DC+ is on the bottom right corner, AC1 is the top right, and AC2 is the bottom left. DC- is the top left.

What to make of this?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Readings look OK on the face of it. All a DVM does on diode range is display the volt drop between the meter probes (3.14 volts open circuited) and when connected to something, the volt drop that passing a small constant current between the probes develops.

As was commented on, add a load and then scope it. Also is there a reservoir cap ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You must have a cap on the output to feed the 7912. At least 470uf for the current you mentioned. A diagram and photo would help. The 7912 is a negative regulator so the scope and ground would be taken (conventionally to understand the circuit) from the DC positive output of the bridge.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Most obvious problem seems to be the lack of a reservoir cap. That's essential. Other than that and it looks OK .

You have AC going into the bridge. The - of the bridge is the ground or "zero" point and this is where your scope is clipped. The + of the bridge goes to the 7812 input. The middle pin of the 7812 goes to "zero" or ground. You need the caps.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its a bit difficult interpreting the scope readings without having the actual instrument in front of me. I've just put that transformer part number into google and it says its a 30-0-30 transformer. First point if that is correct is that its way to high for a 7812. It will almost certainly be zapped or otherwise damaged.

You should read as high as 35 volts per winding off load (rms on a DVM). That equates to around 42 volts peak to peak per winding. 70 volts and 84 volts respectively for both windings in series.

When you look at the unloaded output of a bridge on a scope it can look "wrong" because there is slight stray capacitance and leakage through the diodes of the bridge.
Try feeding just the bridge and place a resistor across the - and + output of the bridge and scope across that resistor. Mind the wattage at that voltage. You are probably looking at 5K6 or higher for a small resistor. Try that and see what you get :)

Ok, it works now. I guess the problem comes from diodes being in reverse, and capacitance not being drained.

First, output with a 10k resistor:

Then 10k || 150uF cap, trigger at turn on:

and a zoom:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.