Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2013, 01:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with DAC wiring w/R-Core tranformer

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect this transformer and DAC and cant figure out the best way to do it. Can any body help,

1) Do i wire the two 15v in parallel to give me 15v @1amp. I have no idea of the requirements but 500ma dosent seem like very much.

2) If so is there any way to identify which wire of each pair is which phase, or does it matter? Basically can i pair up any one of the yellow and brown wires.

3) What do i do with the gnd connection for the amplifier section as i have no center tap from the transformer?

I'm assuming just one of the 9v windings will be sufficient for the I/O section.

Thanks,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcore.JPG (34.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg pcbdac.jpg (351.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 8th October 2013, 01:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

also interested to know
Old 8th October 2013, 02:28 AM   #3
drahcir is offline drahcir  Philippines
diyAudio Member

blue and white cable connect it to AC9-15(single) on the left side and the rest at AC13-15(dual center tap). BLK is the 0v and you must connect it in the middle pin, if you can show the wires from the r-core its much better.
Old 8th October 2013, 03:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahcir View Post
blue and white cable connect it to AC9-15(single) on the left side and the rest at AC13-15(dual center tap). BLK is the 0v and you must connect it in the middle pin, if you can show the wires from the r-core its much better.
Hmm ok, so i connect the two 9v taps Blue & White in parallel to the left hand connector (AC9-15).

Then connect the Yellow and Brown in parallel to the (AC13-15) connector?

I dont understand what you mean by the black wire, thats on the primary side connected to neutral?

Last edited by mcandmar; 8th October 2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 8th October 2013, 04:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

How many wires do you got in the secondary? 15-0-15 is centertap i guess so it should have 3 wires,i also have that kind of traffo for my dac kit and the 15v is white-black-white and the 9v is brown-brown primary is red-red,can you post a pic showing all the wires?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 8th October 2013, 05:15 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drahcir View Post
How many wires do you got in the secondary? 15-0-15 is centertap i guess so it should have 3 wires,i also have that kind of traffo for my dac kit and the 15v is white-black-white and the 9v is brown-brown primary is red-red,can you post a pic showing all the wires?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Thats the thing its four pairs of wires, each pair being the same colour. Piccy attached...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5085.JPG (407.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 8th October 2013, 05:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

you can tie 1 yellow and brown to make it the 0v for the 15-0-15,and then use multimeter to test the other 15v wire using the tied wires as the 0v, in the 9v i think you should use the same color so basically you have 1 pair left unused
Old 8th October 2013, 05:48 AM   #8
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

Do not do as drahcir advised - you will kill yourself or someone near or dear you.

15-0-15 is wired as Yellow Yellow+Brown and Brown
The centre terminal is where Yellow and Brown join, this is the effective centre tap of the transformer.
However you must establish the correct phase first. Connect any Yellow to any Brown and measure the voltage across the other Yellow and Brown.
If it reads 30Vac then the phase is correct and that is hoe you wire it. If it measures zero or close to zero the phase is opposing - in this case just swap the Brown wires.

0-9 is simply one of the 9 volt pair. It does not matter which way they join the PCB. Safely insulate the other pair and make sure they do not short or touch another winding.

Do not go near Black - this is on the mains side. It would normally connect to Neutral. Active would connect to the one labelled with your mains supply voltage.
All the primary wires (used and unused) must be terminated in a screw terminal block that has a conductor to conductor separation suitable for your mains voltage.
Old 8th October 2013, 05:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Johno, your last reply is just an echo of my latest reply, kindly read carefully.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
Connect any Yellow to any Brown and measure the voltage across the other Yellow and Brown.
If it reads 30Vac then the phase is correct and that is hoe you wire it. If it measures zero or close to zero the phase is opposing - in this case just swap the Brown wires.
That makes perfect sense, thank you.

If there anyway to work out the phasing vs the primary coil? As per diagram below..

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!