Need help with DAC wiring w/R-Core tranformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I'm trying to connect this transformer and DAC and cant figure out the best way to do it. Can any body help,

1) Do i wire the two 15v in parallel to give me 15v @1amp. I have no idea of the requirements but 500ma dosent seem like very much.

2) If so is there any way to identify which wire of each pair is which phase, or does it matter? Basically can i pair up any one of the yellow and brown wires.

3) What do i do with the gnd connection for the amplifier section as i have no center tap from the transformer?

I'm assuming just one of the 9v windings will be sufficient for the I/O section.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• rcore.JPG
    rcore.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 251
  • pcbdac.jpg
    pcbdac.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 243
blue and white cable connect it to AC9-15(single) on the left side and the rest at AC13-15(dual center tap). BLK is the 0v and you must connect it in the middle pin, if you can show the wires from the r-core its much better.

Hmm ok, so i connect the two 9v taps Blue & White in parallel to the left hand connector (AC9-15).

Then connect the Yellow and Brown in parallel to the (AC13-15) connector?

I dont understand what you mean by the black wire, thats on the primary side connected to neutral?

Last edited:
How many wires do you got in the secondary? 15-0-15 is centertap i guess so it should have 3 wires,i also have that kind of traffo for my dac kit and the 15v is white-black-white and the 9v is brown-brown primary is red-red,can you post a pic showing all the wires?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

How many wires do you got in the secondary? 15-0-15 is centertap i guess so it should have 3 wires,i also have that kind of traffo for my dac kit and the 15v is white-black-white and the 9v is brown-brown primary is red-red,can you post a pic showing all the wires?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Thats the thing its four pairs of wires, each pair being the same colour. Piccy attached...

Attachments

• IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    407.2 KB · Views: 227
Do not do as drahcir advised - you will kill yourself or someone near or dear you.

15-0-15 is wired as Yellow Yellow+Brown and Brown
The centre terminal is where Yellow and Brown join, this is the effective centre tap of the transformer.
However you must establish the correct phase first. Connect any Yellow to any Brown and measure the voltage across the other Yellow and Brown.
If it reads 30Vac then the phase is correct and that is hoe you wire it. If it measures zero or close to zero the phase is opposing - in this case just swap the Brown wires.

0-9 is simply one of the 9 volt pair. It does not matter which way they join the PCB. Safely insulate the other pair and make sure they do not short or touch another winding.

Do not go near Black - this is on the mains side. It would normally connect to Neutral. Active would connect to the one labelled with your mains supply voltage.
All the primary wires (used and unused) must be terminated in a screw terminal block that has a conductor to conductor separation suitable for your mains voltage.

Connect any Yellow to any Brown and measure the voltage across the other Yellow and Brown.
If it reads 30Vac then the phase is correct and that is hoe you wire it. If it measures zero or close to zero the phase is opposing - in this case just swap the Brown wires.

That makes perfect sense, thank you.

If there anyway to work out the phasing vs the primary coil? As per diagram below..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

yes, red connected to green for 230Vac
That leaves red and black as the 230Vac primary.
You can connect either the Red to Live or the Black to Live.
You will probably find that leakage to earth is different with the two, Red or Black, options.
Measure and choose the option has the lower earth leakage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.