Battery/Alternator probelms ? helllpppp!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2013, 06:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Battery/Alternator probelms ? helllpppp!!

So a couple a months ago i bought a 2001 jetta VR6 . It was all stock and running perfect no problems with battery or ANYTHING electrical.
I put in a 12' Rockford P3 with a 700w Rockford amp. I put a aftermarket stereo in as well (JVC unit). Had no problems till i heard some static coming out of the door speakers . Well i fixed that problem, I rewired it, and the kid who wired it in my car before just used tape to wire it, unfortunately that was a BAD idea. I blew the deck because the tape would get way to hot and i pulled the harness out and buncha wires touched and BOOM the decks DONE. So i went back to Best Buy and I got a new deck for FREE. I had problems with the JVC in the past so i easily talked my way into getting another deck. So I put this new Pioneer unit in and did it my self flawlessly. I even had professionals look at it. Well lets cut to the case.
The battery would die EVERY night and in the following morning it wouldt not start.? Soo, after a little research I came to a conclusion that it could have been a parasitic drain. Because, after i jump the car it runs perfect and runs ALL day with headlights on and amp and headunit all on!
Well one night i unhooked my stero unit (just cut the power wire bc i was in a hurry) and the next morning it started. The next day, i rewired the power wire and pulled the Radio fuse and let it sit for the night, and no start.
Yesterday i recently went to an Audio expert and they hooks my car up for some test. They told me there was no Drain when my car was off. And my car was reading like 12volts or something when it was on with all the lights and stero on. Now i dont know much about meters and power levels for my car at all . but they told me my battery has more power when its was off then when the car is started. They told me my alternator could be the problem but i dont understand how it could be the problem when my car runs all day after a jump in the morning. I've been jumping it for like 2 weeks now if i need to go somewhere.
Now, yesterday the (Audio professionals) Told me to disconnect my negative terminal on the battery when i get home and the following up morning reconnect it and try to start the car. Well, I did that and the car started right up. They told me to get my battery tested and alternator tested. And right now i don't have the money for that. Could someone give me any idea whats going on ? I'm clueless, i also unhooked all my speakers amp and 4 gauge power wire going to my battery and no start. Could my battery not hold enough charge for car to start in the morning? I also don't see why my alternator would be the main source of the problem, I never had any issues while its running, just when i get home and let it sit for 5 hours.
any helpers?
Old 1st October 2013, 07:49 PM   #2
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If every things fine when the amps power is disconnected. Then the amp is draining your battery at night. You need to measure the current drain when the car is off with and without the amp connected to make sure.
Old 1st October 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
I would fit an isolator switch to the power amp feed. Sounds like there is a power drain issue. Alternator and battery must be OK if once they are running lights and audio are OK.
Old 1st October 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nandababaji
Sometimes an alternator will drain a battery overnight, one of the diodes in the alternator goes leaky. I have had this happen with a few cars over the years. First, check to see if your amplifier is drawing any current by pulling ALL the fuses to amplifiers and head unit. If still no start in the morning then likely to be an alternator fault.
Old 1st October 2013, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

When my amp was connected the Audio techs tested it right in front of me. I seen NO drain at all. Plus the Remote wire to my amp is connected to my headunit, and the head unit doesnt turn on unless the key is in the ignition. we pulled the key shut all the doors and turned all headlights/headlamps... Everything off, they told me it wasn't because of my system. I think they are wrong, but then again i know nothing about electrical systems in vw
Old 1st October 2013, 08:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandababaji View Post
Sometimes an alternator will drain a battery overnight, one of the diodes in the alternator goes leaky. I have had this happen with a few cars over the years. First, check to see if your amplifier is drawing any current by pulling ALL the fuses to amplifiers and head unit. If still no start in the morning then likely to be an alternator fault.
Once again, there was no draw from the amp. I was present when they tested my car for a parasitic drain. Nothing draining at all.....
Old 3rd October 2013, 05:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Put an ammeter in series with the battery, turn everything off in the car.
Watch the drain. Turn things on like amp/head unit and see what happens.

if "Nothing draining at all.." then the battery wouldnt die.
the battery DID die, hence something IS draining. its just logic.
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainwulf View Post
Put an ammeter in series with the battery, turn everything off in the car.
Watch the drain. Turn things on like amp/head unit and see what happens.

if "Nothing draining at all.." then the battery wouldnt die.
the battery DID die, hence something IS draining. its just logic.
This is correct.
Put the ammeter right in series with the battery and at either battery terminal. DO NOT try to start the engine as you will blow the ammeter fuse.

If you see no drain at all (lets say below 30mA) then the problem is the battery and nothing else.
The engine "black box" drains some little value even when the ignition switch is OFF and this is normal.
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Also you can check the resistance between the negative and positive voltage connection to the amplifier. The amplifier need be isolated from the 12 volts.
Old 3rd October 2013, 06:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

That resistance check wont mean anything. The input goes straight to a DC-DC up converter and will have active devices and capacitors.

Hide this!Advertise here!