How to mount a toroidal transformer vertically? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2013, 10:33 PM   #11
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser001 View Post
If the U bolt is conductive and if it is electrically connected to the chassis (which I assumed is metal) it will result in a shorted turn. If you can guarantee insulation of the U bolt from the chassis it will work but will not be a sound design since these locations can be difficult to insulate permanently.

I've always used an L bracket for vertical mounting.

Matt
Hi,

Isn't your L bracket metal, too? I assume you still bolt the transformer to the bracket, don't you? And the bracket is bolted or screwed to the case?

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:41 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Jr View Post
Sorry, I sell them.. I'm a dealer. Apex Jr.Home Page

Contact me with your address and I'll send you a pair at NO COST

Steve
Hi,

I went to your web site and didn't see these. Could you provide a link directly to these items?

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2013, 01:09 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Jr View Post
They make these and I have them...
Steve,

Could you please post what the distance is between the center hole and the bottom plate? That will give us an idea of how big a toroid it can hold.
Old 24th September 2013, 01:45 AM   #15
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic ingestion View Post
Hi,

Isn't your L bracket metal, too? I assume you still bolt the transformer to the bracket, don't you? And the bracket is bolted or screwed to the case?

Thanks.
Toroidal transformers still mystify me. I believe it has something to do with putting what is essentially a solid metal ring around the transformer, as opposed to a mounting bolt through the middle. I seem to remember reading that fully enclosing the toroid in metal does the same thing, but then I've also seen jacketed toroids for sale.

I'm going with the L-bracket method but I'm interesting in hearing the theory behind this.
Old 24th September 2013, 01:51 AM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic ingestion View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
there are rubber disks on either sides of the traffo so bolting is no problem...
Old 24th September 2013, 01:54 AM   #17
mattmcl is offline mattmcl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
there are rubber disks on either sides of the traffo so bolting is no problem...
So theoretically I could wrap a length of rubber around the toroid, which would insulate it from the u-bolt and the chassis?
Old 24th September 2013, 02:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

yes go ahead and do it....
remember also that rubber under is merely for mechanical protection, even without it, the bolt is still insulated due to the fact that the clamp on the other side does not touch the chassis...

the idea here is that the bolt must never form a complete electrical circuit so that the resulting shorted turn ensures trouble....
i see ApexJr has some nice vertical mounting hardware, mine is made from 2mm thick aluminum plate so formed....
Old 24th September 2013, 06:54 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I used "nailplates" or whatever they are called in english, used for nailing wooden beams together when you erect a house frame.

To explain I add a link to a swedish/finnish supplier for general hardware
Vinkelbeslag - Biltema

Price is in euros. This is in turn is 90*90mm and 3 mm thick. Zinc anodized and provided with enough holes to fit anything anywhere...

Should be readily available in any well stocked hardware store?
Old 24th September 2013, 07:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
So theoretically I could wrap a length of rubber around the toroid, which would insulate it from the u-bolt and the chassis?
No you can't. the U-bolt would form a conductive loop with the chassis (assuming that the chassis is metal and they are not insulated from each other). Wrapping the transformer does nothing.

The reason why the plates work is becasue the bolt only goes through the centre and does not continue around the out side to form a continuous loop. The rubber is there to protect the insulation on the transformer from being abraded when it is clamped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loop.jpg (7.0 KB, 212 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!