"Noisy Transformer (Clicking)"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm Building an f5 using an Antek AS-4218 transformer (18V, 400VA). I was hooking up the power supply for testing and the transformer makes a clicking noise that sounds like electricity arcing when my ear is a couple feet away. The clicking has a frequency of a few clicks per second. I unhooked everything but the transformer and it still makes the noise with no load on it. I tried moving the amp to a different outlet and the noise is still there. I sent Antek an e-mail a couple days ago but haven't heard back.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The clicking could be symptom of a mains transient issue or an intermittent internal connection, or maybe internal arcing between a winding.

Do you have any other toroids, and if so are they silent when plugged into the same outlet?

Do you have a scope?

I've used a lot of Antek transformers in my projects over the course of nearly a decade and have not had a problem with any of their transformers. QC problems seem quite rare.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Take a look at the secondary and see what happens when you get that clicking. You should see some sort of pulse.

This indicates that the Antek is ok, and problem lies either in your house wiring or something nearby. Something arcing on a regular basis could cause this sort of behavior and could be a cause for serious concern.

Single family house you own, condo, apartment?

May want to consult with the local power company and an electrician.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
It's a single family house that we own.

I'm realizing there is a problem with the electricity in the house. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the transformer. Maybe this thread should be deleted.

Now that I'm aware of it I can hear the clicking on the stereo if I turn it all the way up. I can hear it in the TV as well.

I'm thinking it must be something outside the house because I can turn off all the breakers except the one with the stereo on it and still hear the clicking.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Definitely time to contact the power company, they should be able to figure out the source of this interference. It might be something wrong on the high voltage side of your local distribution system.

In terms of diagnostics technique this is a useful thread I think. Might want to move it somewhere else.. I think power supplies and if you select a new name I can make that happen if you PM me.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I called Consumers power two weeks ago and they finally sent out a lineman. He couldn't come in the house so I brought a transformer outside and plugged it in for him. He could hear the clicking noise but said he couldn't do anything about it. They are going to send out an engineer.

resolved?

Did this ever get resolved? I have had this same intermittent issue happening at my house the past few weeks. I keep my amp on at all times, and we've been hearing squeeking/crackling out of my speaker drivers occasionally without preamp powered up. And we have also been hearing a crackling in the stove, thinking it might have been a mouse, but no mice trapped in any traps I put out.

This morning, I heard the speakers crackling/squeeking again and quickly went to put my ear up to the stove - and it was making its noise too.

I have noticed the stove has a low volume transformer hum normally, so know it has a transformer in there. So I'm thinking I have a power issue just like in this thread - and am glad the mods decided to keep it for helpful future diagnostics!

But now I'm curious if Kevin was ever able to resolve it with his power company, and what ended up being the cause. His seemed more consistent, whereas mine is intermittent.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
It was resolved. I called the power company and they sent out a technician. I showed him what a could see on the scope and he kind of treated me like I was crazy. However, a couple days later a crew was out working on the transformer by my house. My best guess is the transformer was arching because I could hear the same noise standing under the transformer on the pole outside the house as I did with the transformer in my amp.

Can you hear anything at the transformer that feeds your house?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.