Options for getting the proper voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jsixis,

The Vclip data might not be on the datasheet.

If there is a schematic of the chip's internal circuit, you might be able to get some idea about it. It's the minimum voltage between the power rail input and the output. So it's usually the voltage across the output stage transistor(s) plus the low-value emitter resistor(s).

It's usually between 2V and 6V. But it depends on the rail voltage and the load impedance.

If you need to guess, then 4V is probably reasonable.

Cheers,

Tom Gootee

Just an update for anyone curious about the outcome of what we've discussed here!

While I have not connected it to the intended load yet (2 LM3886 single channel circuits to make a "stereo" amp going to 4 ohm speakers) I did hook the 20V secondaries into a voltage doubler similar to what was mentioned by AJT except I built this circuit (from the same page):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(I used 470uf capacitors just because I had them laying around)

Now remember that the secondaries were measuring 20V from one to another, and my assumption was that this was measuring peak voltage, but I was quite surprised when I measured the output of the circuit! I got ~27VDC from each secondary to the "ground" and ~54VDC across the secondaries! Now remember that this is unloaded output and the capacitors are likely woefully under capacity for a real load, but it gives promise that this salvage transformer might be up to the task.

I'll update once I have all the circuits/speakers built and can test under load. Thank you all for the help and encouragement thus far!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.