fully charged battery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Also, if its a lead acid battery (VRLA gell types) then charging continues long after a current limited supply flips from constant current to constant voltage as the current tapers down.

Every battery type and technology needs a different solution.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You have to worry about float and trickle charge because otherwise your battery will never fully charge and will deteriorate. The battery will stand 13.8 volts 24/7. If the current has tapered off fully and you remove the charger then the battery is not fully charged.

Have a read at the "Yuasa little red book of batteries" downloadable here ,
Norbain SD - Yuasa Little Red Book of Batteries

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is the battery I am trying to charge but I do not want to pull it out of the box it is in every time I need to charge it.
WKA12-1.3F 12V 1.3Ah Werker Battery with F1 Terminal - 12V - Werker - SLA Sealed Lead Acid Battery - Batteries Plus
I'm going to read the "Little Red Book" and return with more knowledgeable questions. Thanks for the help.

If your use of this battery is "cyclic" meaning you use it a bit, charge it and then leave it for some time until needed again, then you really need a dedicated charger that will charge to nearer 15 volts and then taper the voltage down. This type of charger monitors the current and reduces the voltage down toward a "float" charge level as the battery charges. The higher voltage ensures the battery charges in a relatively short time. If your charging it in a car then you haven't the higher voltage available, all you have is the cars alternator voltage will can be anywhere from under 13 volts on a red hot day with a red hot engine to nearer 16 volts (for a few seconds) on an icy cold start. A shottky diode in series with the battery charging lead is probably all you need tbh and just keep it connected to the car lighter socket.

You have to worry about float and trickle charge because otherwise your battery will never fully charge and will deteriorate. The battery will stand 13.8 volts 24/7. If the current has tapered off fully and you remove the charger then the battery is not fully charged.

Have a read at the "Yuasa little red book of batteries" downloadable here ,
Norbain SD - Yuasa Little Red Book of Batteries

thanks for that awesome link

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.