Double C Core vs Single C Core

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
before anyone comments, I did the search but, I was unable to find the information I was looking for. If I missed it, Im sorry...

I am trying to understand the differences between using double c core vs single c core on a single bobbin output transformer. I have seen transformers with both configuration, although with different bobbin sizes. The double c core transformers usually have a more square area, the single c core's have a more rectangular area, other than that I have read that the winding calculations do not change (?).

But, what does change? I mean, I read specs for c cores from manufacturers that are all for single c core usage, what happens when I use double c cores in a single bobbin? Does the VA amount double? What changes exactly?

Thanks.

before anyone comments, I did the search but, I was unable to find the information I was looking for. If I missed it, Im sorry...

I am trying to understand the differences between using double c core vs single c core on a single bobbin output transformer. I have seen transformers with both configuration, although with different bobbin sizes. The double c core transformers usually have a more square area, the single c core's have a more rectangular area, other than that I have read that the winding calculations do not change (?).

But, what does change? I mean, I read specs for c cores from manufacturers that are all for single c core usage, what happens when I use double c cores in a single bobbin? Does the VA amount double? What changes exactly?

Thanks.

if you use double c cores, the core area doubles, therefore for the same flux density, you will need half the number of turns, this is true even for EI's...

if you use double c cores, the core area doubles, therefore for the same flux density, you will need half the number of turns,
Provided of course the C size remains the same. In which case, the MTL is almost doubled.

It is always possible to stack multiple cores in any direction geometrically possible to increase the Ae.
The total Ae matters more than the way it is implemented, but it is always preferable to stay close to canonical shapes, for this topology it would be a doughnut having an inner diameter = 0.
Single C circuits are very far from this ideal, double C is a little better, and quadruple would be even better provided the core dimensions allow for a square composite center core.
More than quadruple would be impossible, because voids would remain.
Anyway, this is secondary: the total Ae is always the dominant factor, the exact topology dictates the leakage and similar parameters: not so important

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.