Double C Core vs Single C Core - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
h3ndrix is offline h3ndrix  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Default Double C Core vs Single C Core

before anyone comments, I did the search but, I was unable to find the information I was looking for. If I missed it, Im sorry...

I am trying to understand the differences between using double c core vs single c core on a single bobbin output transformer. I have seen transformers with both configuration, although with different bobbin sizes. The double c core transformers usually have a more square area, the single c core's have a more rectangular area, other than that I have read that the winding calculations do not change (?).

But, what does change? I mean, I read specs for c cores from manufacturers that are all for single c core usage, what happens when I use double c cores in a single bobbin? Does the VA amount double? What changes exactly?

Thanks.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Have you read this?
Transformers Part 2 - Beginners' Guide to Electronics
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:08 AM   #3
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ndrix View Post
before anyone comments, I did the search but, I was unable to find the information I was looking for. If I missed it, Im sorry...

I am trying to understand the differences between using double c core vs single c core on a single bobbin output transformer. I have seen transformers with both configuration, although with different bobbin sizes. The double c core transformers usually have a more square area, the single c core's have a more rectangular area, other than that I have read that the winding calculations do not change (?).

But, what does change? I mean, I read specs for c cores from manufacturers that are all for single c core usage, what happens when I use double c cores in a single bobbin? Does the VA amount double? What changes exactly?

Thanks.
if you use double c cores, the core area doubles, therefore for the same flux density, you will need half the number of turns, this is true even for EI's...
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT View Post
if you use double c cores, the core area doubles, therefore for the same flux density, you will need half the number of turns,
Provided of course the C size remains the same. In which case, the MTL is almost doubled.

It is always possible to stack multiple cores in any direction geometrically possible to increase the Ae.
The total Ae matters more than the way it is implemented, but it is always preferable to stay close to canonical shapes, for this topology it would be a doughnut having an inner diameter = 0.
Single C circuits are very far from this ideal, double C is a little better, and quadruple would be even better provided the core dimensions allow for a square composite center core.
More than quadruple would be impossible, because voids would remain.
Anyway, this is secondary: the total Ae is always the dominant factor, the exact topology dictates the leakage and similar parameters: not so important
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Im sorry but, could you guys explain a little bit more in detail? What is MTL and Ae? Is there any other change? Say, in VA ratings?
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

increasing core area under the windings increases VA ratings..
Old 3rd August 2013, 08:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So...double C core would have twice the VA rating of a single c core in single bobbin under the same circumstances...is that right?

Hide this!Advertise here!