Never-Connected power supply - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2003, 09:17 PM   #21
jcarr is offline jcarr  United States
diyAudio Member

>the only excuse for not using batteries is the requirement for too high Voltages to run Valve Circuits<

Another excuse could be the sound quality. I have a commercial, battery-powered IC-based phono amp which sounds rather good for what it is and what it costs. But when I compare it to an AC-powered IC-based phono amp prototype (with shunt regulation) that I have been working on, the AC prototype runs rings around the battery phono stage.

Obviously, the other differences in design and implementation count for a lot, and so do personal preferences, but you should not assume that battery operation is any kind of panacea.

jonathan carr
Old 7th December 2003, 11:49 PM   #22
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

Batteries (chemical reaction) are SLOW.

Power supply by-pass caps may be even more important with battery supplies than line operated supplies.

I had a handheld HP meter that would not work with a 9V alkaline battery, it was designed with a mercury battery. A call to HP had me adding power supply by-pass caps and then the meter worked properly. Forunately they had had this problem before, and had all the values and locations worked out.
Old 11th December 2003, 09:36 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

For anyone that's interested, here's a picture of a Never-Connected PSU:

Click the image to open in full size.

I have one in my Teac T1 CD transport powering my Trichord Clock4 clock upgrade. How much difference it makes is hard to say but the person who did the mods for me (who is a friend) swears by them and says that powering the clock with a Never-Connected PSU improved things as much, if not more, than doing the clock upgrade alone.

Michael.

Hide this!Advertise here!