Never-Connected power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>the only excuse for not using batteries is the requirement for too high Voltages to run Valve Circuits<

Another excuse could be the sound quality. I have a commercial, battery-powered IC-based phono amp which sounds rather good for what it is and what it costs. But when I compare it to an AC-powered IC-based phono amp prototype (with shunt regulation) that I have been working on, the AC prototype runs rings around the battery phono stage.

Obviously, the other differences in design and implementation count for a lot, and so do personal preferences, but you should not assume that battery operation is any kind of panacea.

jonathan carr

Batteries (chemical reaction) are SLOW.

Power supply by-pass caps may be even more important with battery supplies than line operated supplies.

I had a handheld HP meter that would not work with a 9V alkaline battery, it was designed with a mercury battery. A call to HP had me adding power supply by-pass caps and then the meter worked properly. Forunately they had had this problem before, and had all the values and locations worked out.

For anyone that's interested, here's a picture of a Never-Connected PSU:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have one in my Teac T1 CD transport powering my Trichord Clock4 clock upgrade. How much difference it makes is hard to say but the person who did the mods for me (who is a friend) swears by them and says that powering the clock with a Never-Connected PSU improved things as much, if not more, than doing the clock upgrade alone.

Michael.

The US patent numbers are 7092268B2, and 20040008529. Both are issued to Richard George Warrington, of Worcestershire, England.

Patent US7092268 - Isolating power supply - Google Patents

https://www.google.com/patents/US20040008529

Incidentally, my general experience with transferring charge from one capacitor to another capacitor is that, power is lost in the transfer process unless the circuit includes some kind of mechanism to prevent this from happening. The following link discusses the issues.

Capacitor-to-Capacitor Transfer of Energy and Gorge

hth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.