diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/)
-   -   smd CRC filter (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/236365-smd-crc-filter.html)

Nikitas 21st May 2013 09:57 PM

smd CRC filter

I' m currently redesigning a psu for my f5 turbo, and this question popped in my head: has anybody tried a smd crc filter?
should I have any decent expectations? Even in theory, would the quality and performance be comparable to a through hole linear psu?

AndrewT 22nd May 2013 10:32 AM

What values of C & R are you planning to use?
Are these values available in SMD packages?

twest820 23rd May 2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseas (Post 3499727)
Even in theory, would the quality and performance be comparable to a through hole linear psu?

Depends on the power handling requirements and what stopband rejection you need at what frequency. You'll have to be more specific. That said, if you find a way to achieve 700pH ESL with through hole components it'd be a pretty neat trick.

454Casull 23rd May 2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twest820 (Post 3501105)
Depends on the power handling requirements and what stopband rejection you need at what frequency. You'll have to be more specific. That said, if you find a way to achieve 700pH ESL with through hole components it'd be a pretty neat trick.

You mean SMD components?

twest820 23rd May 2013 01:28 AM

Most 0603 components have about 700pH ESL from the package.

Nikitas 23rd May 2013 08:50 AM

Hi All

The PSU i'm trying to substitute is a bipolar +/-32V with total 14 resistors@0,47ohm and 8 caps 10.000uf@50V per channel.

Andrew, Resistors are no problem, with caps there is one.

Now, with caps the problem is that I can find 10.000uF electrolytics but they go as far as 12V.
Or I can find caps rated @35V but the highest capacitance is 2200uF.

twest820, could you elaborate? I wrote some specs above, but I think I don't understand what do you mean by stopband rejection? If you mean what I think, then the highest possible would be my answer :)

AndrewT 23rd May 2013 08:54 AM

Caps not available: stop.
Power dissipation in resistors? Investigate.

twest820 23rd May 2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseas (Post 3501443)
twest820, could you elaborate?

You're still a long way from clearly describing the application or what needs to be filtered how. Answering Andrew's power question would be a start, though one usually also posts a schematic when asking questions like this. Assuming the F5 Turbo you're referring to is this one and that it's all that's on the supply I doubt you need to be particularly concerned of parasitics. If you're thinking RCRCRCRC on each rail a 34kHz corner's probably not the greatest choice as the F5's a class AB load and the filter's passband is not necessarily wider than that of the source driving the amp. You'd probably be better off just regulating the control loop.

Not sure why you're having trouble finding 10,000uF 50V caps. As I'm typing this Mouser EU has 172 Nichion VRs in stock, for example.

AndrewT 23rd May 2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Termination Style: Radial

Case Diameter: 25 mm

Case Length: 50 mm

Lead Spacing: 12.5 mm

They are not smd.

He wants an smd CRC filter.

Nikitas 23rd May 2013 01:36 PM

twest it looks like there's miscommunication.

If you don't know what the f5 is then simply ask me that.
I'm sorry if i took for granted that you know what an f5 is, but other than that I don't see any reason for your "tone".

I did answer Andrew's question. The cap you posted isn't smd package.

I'm thinking CRC.

I have no clue where you're going with this "If you're thinking RCRCRCRC on each rail a 34kHz corner's probably not the greatest choice as the F5's a class AB load and the filter's passband"

Here's the article about the f5: http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_f5_turbo.pdf

My amp is the v2 and a few pages below you can see the schematic my thoughts are originating from. There is no numbering on the pages, so I can't guide you better than this.