smd CRC filter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

If the requirements for folks who take their time to try to help are to 1) be able to map a two word phrase to a load schematic (done with reasonable accuracy as posts 8 and 10 have the same link), 2) know the PSU schematic a priori (apparently it's first order RC, though the specifics of which caps go where, what the outputs are, and how it connects to the load remain unclear---one now guesses "a few pages below" refers to page 11 in the linked pdf, however), 3) know a priori what it is the filter needs to reject (still unclear, though the most likely target seems to be mains noise), and 4) be able to make high value SMD caps not currently available on the market (rather unlikely) then, yes, I do believe there are going to be some challenges. Not so much about communication but around expectations.

There's quite a bit of existing discussion on this forum about passive supply rail filters for various purposes, how they interact with load behaviour, and how bypass ladder selection affects the supply's output impedance. It could be worth spending some time connecting that with Spice models of your build and running some AC and transient sims. Doing so would likely alleviate some of the difficulty in describing what this supply is supposed to do. Good luck! Primary side mains filtering could be worth looking into as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
I did answer Andrew's question.
This is incorrect as the power requirement for the filter resistors has not been stated. Nor can it be inferred with much precision until the supply outputs are indicated. Based on the information in this thread so far the resistors might need to handle 10+A. Or 10mA could be OK. I would tend to guess more the former, though, in which case the thermals for SMD will probably be a bit interesting. Depending on the layout and how the caps are used routing traces rather than resistors might be an option.

Last edited by twest820; 23rd May 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseas View Post
I' m currently redesigning a psu for my f5 turbo, and this question popped in my head: has anybody tried a smd crc filter?
should I have any decent expectations? Even in theory, would the quality and performance be comparable to a through hole linear psu?
So the answer is...
1. Nobody tried a SMD CRC for F5 turbo, as no suitable SMD capacitors are out there for such duty, and use of SMD resistors in such application is nonsense. Well, use of SMD capacitors in same application is nonse too.

2. In theory, if you take all of it (production technology of SMD caps) it is impossible so far.

And a remark - electrolytic SMD capacitors are absolutly the same electrolytic capacitors, but their pins are bended sideways. So, there is no difference between SMD and regular electrolytics whatsoever.
Old 23rd May 2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Nikitas is offline Nikitas  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
So the answer is...
1. Nobody tried a SMD CRC for F5 turbo, as no suitable SMD capacitors are out there for such duty, and use of SMD resistors in such application is nonsense. Well, use of SMD capacitors in same application is nonse too.

2. In theory, if you take all of it (production technology of SMD caps) it is impossible so far.

And a remark - electrolytic SMD capacitors are absolutly the same electrolytic capacitors, but their pins are bended sideways. So, there is no difference between SMD and regular electrolytics whatsoever.

thanks.

So even if paralleling *more* caps one couldn't reach the desired result?

I don't think that smd resistors for such an application is nonsense when using appropriate configuration and even heatsinks. From the specs I see out there, resistors shouldn't be a problem.

So nobody even tried it?Maybe I'll be the first to find ways NOT to do it! hehehe

PS I liked my last line enough to use it as a signature

Last edited by Nikitas; 23rd May 2013 at 05:16 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!