RN-20 Chinese transformer connecting to JHL Amp board - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2013, 12:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RN-20 Chinese transformer connecting to JHL Amp board

Hello,

I have just purchased a pre-built JHL amp board and a transformer to go with it, and I am looking for a bit of a sanity check whilst I wait for it to arrive to plan how I am going to connect things.

This is the transformer: 30W 220V R Core Transformer 9V 2 15V 2 Free Shipping | eBay

The mains side is straight forward, One to neutral, one to active, (both are red so it doesn't appear to matter which one), and grn/yel to Protective earth. So far so good.

My question really revolves around the output side. I need a 15-0-15 ac supply. My first instinct is that I take each of the yellows as a +15 and the red attached to neutral as "0". Is this correct, or do I need to take one green and one yellow as my +15's?

Is there any benefit to me putting an appropriately sized capacitor bank between the output of the transformer, and the input to the amp? Space in the enclosure isn't a problem, but if there is likely to be no benefit I wont bother!

If you could please let me know if my interpretation of the transformer is correct it would be really appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transformer.jpg (34.8 KB, 103 views)
Old 16th April 2013, 01:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

OK. Looking at pictures of these installed in finished kits, my assumptions with the outputs are clearly wrong.

Can anyone point me to a document / website / whitepaper so that I can learn how this should be wired?
Old 16th April 2013, 02:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ok.

Lets see if I got this right now....

To get the output I need, I would connect one yellow as +15, one green as +15, and the remaining yellow and green would connect together to get my 0.

Is this correct?
Old 16th April 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes.

Keep the reds (mains primary) well away from the secondaries. The green/yellow striped wire (screen) should attach to the grounded chassis. You should also make a connection between chassis and the circuit 0V point, but possibly not your green+yellow junction - read threads on grounding to avoid hum.

Hide this!Advertise here!