Lighting transformers as a power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've recently been acquiring components to build my first 'proper' audio amp. For simplicity, I'm going to largely be following the Death of Zen design. Being class A it's going to need a decent power supply and that's the part I've found most problematic for two reasons: cost and working with mains voltage.

Today I came across lighting transformers which boast a much higher output power for the price compared to purely electromagnetic transformers and, to an extent, eliminate what you have to do with mains wiring down to just wiring to a plug. They also, I believe, output a more square like wave, which means less smoothing work to be done.

I've read the threads that were suggested to me when I posted this but they tended to contain differing information. So before I buy some of these to experiment with I wonder if anyone could give me some good reasons not to (or encouragement would be even better :) )

My main question is whether they can be run in series, since most are +/-12V (24V are available) and I would like 36V. I see no reason why they can't, but I am rather suspicious.

Thank you in advance for any help.

I've recently been acquiring components to build my first 'proper' audio amp. For simplicity, I'm going to largely be following the Death of Zen design. Being class A it's going to need a decent power supply and that's the part I've found most problematic for two reasons: cost and working with mains voltage.

Today I came across lighting transformers which boast a much higher output power for the price compared to purely electromagnetic transformers and, to an extent, eliminate what you have to do with mains wiring down to just wiring to a plug. They also, I believe, output a more square like wave, which means less smoothing work to be done.

I've read the threads that were suggested to me when I posted this but they tended to contain differing information. So before I buy some of these to experiment with I wonder if anyone could give me some good reasons not to (or encouragement would be even better :) )

My main question is whether they can be run in series, since most are +/-12V (24V are available) and I would like 36V. I see no reason why they can't, but I am rather suspicious.

Thank you in advance for any help.
I do lot of experiment with electronic transformers.After all,i finaly leave that and made myself real SMPS.I suggest You don't waste Your time,but if You want to try here is my help:You can rewind trafo and get desire voltage.In most case it's 8turns in transformer with 12VAC.Here is schematic how You should made output stage:
Main problem is IT'S NEED MINIMUM LOAD TO OSCILATE!!! In other case there is no current at the output.Watch Your self,put bulb in series with main,it will prevent BOOM.
Regards

Hello and thank you for your reply. Do you know if I where to connect the 12V side of two electronic transformers in series, would I be able to achieve a +/- 24V output?

I don't think the minimum load will be a problem for a class A amp!

When you say a bulb in series with main, is this on the input side of the transformer? Would a fused plug not be sufficient protection?

Thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.