Adding a infrared or rf remote to a DIY system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan on building a system with mostly DIY parts... Well at least all of my amps will be boards and I have a processor/preamp that I will use to control the system... I am willing to build my own power supply or maybe just get a regulated one for what I need... This will be an all active system so the amps will be enclosed... How to I go about turning everything off with a remote control other than turning a switch off on the wall that turns the power on?

None of those links actually supply me with info I am requesting... I guess what I'm looking for is an interrupt betweenmy house 120vac outlet and my power supply so I can kill the peer going to the amps when they are not in use... Basically killing power (turning off the switch I'm my house) without having to hook my power supply up to a switch.... Basically turning on a switch in my house with remote control with high power...

None of those links actually supply me with info I am requesting...
Connect the remote receiver output to a relay with contacts rated for your house voltage and current draw. The contacts will be in series with the AC hot lead. Or a DPDT relay switching both hot and neutral. The relay switches the power on and off.

Attachments

• relay.png
    relay.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 115
Connect the remote receiver output to a relay with contacts rated for your house voltage and current draw. The contacts will be in series with the AC hot lead. Or a DPDT relay switching both hot and neutral. The relay switches the power on and off.

Hi,
Are the +5V and +12V are two separate power input ? How does the IR receiver decode which key press is valid to triggering the relay?

Thanks

The schematic shown is the receiving end of a simple on-off remote control system. The 5V can be had by regulating the 12V down with a 7805. Both links I provided are for an on-off function only. You should probably go with a PIC or other MCU if you want to modulate codes onto the transmission.

I have something similar to this that I use for a light bar I have installed behind my tv... My ownly problem with this is the current output limitations to this device has.. 10 amps won't cover the 1000+ watt setup I plan on building... Something like this that is designed to handle more current would be great as opposed to going the DIY route.

I have something similar to this that I use for a light bar I have installed behind my tv... My ownly problem with this is the current output limitations to this device has.. 10 amps won't cover the 1000+ watt setup I plan on building... Something like this that is designed to handle more current would be great as opposed to going the DIY route.

So have it run a relay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.