Why are Switching power supplies so uncommon ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2013, 04:24 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Using the Marty Brown and Pressman's books as only one reference. My SMPS is 80W and is working fine since 12 or 13 years ago, and using recycled core from PC monitor.
Old 15th March 2013, 07:21 PM   #32
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The spread spectrum, multi phase were in a money no object design, I forgot there was also a control card, an two filter cards with active filters. So probably not a DIY type design at the moment, but it was an interesting insight into where power management is going, with the ever increasing demands for efficiency, battery life for mobile devices and keeping the EMC noise to the absolute minimum.
The advantage of spread spectrum is as pointed out, spreads the noise, and more importantly avoids peaks where a single frequency is used.
Multipahse allows for a compact design, with several small inductors instead of one huge one, same with caps and other components. Thermal issues are more easily controlled and catered for (from a manufactrung point of view, all SMD componets, no large heat sinks to bolt thing to etc) with the heat spread out, but also allowing the base of the PCB to be bolted to the case with thermal pads for heatsinking.
Probably not suitable for dynamic audio reproduction, the current requirements were not as severe as bass transients
The technology is not new, I was looking through my collection of documents on SMPS,s today and found Linear Technology AN29 from 1988, clocks mention include 30kHz split into two 15kHz clocks, probably not the best operating frequencies for audio.
Old 15th March 2013, 07:30 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
I make 2 SMPS's using this principle, both of them work fine. Although I use ST's semiconductors in place of LT's. Both of them are discrete.

Hide this!Advertise here!