Why are Switching power supplies so uncommon ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Thunau is offline Thunau  United States
diyAudio Member

So, would a Class A amplifier with its constant draw be a perfect candidate for a SPS?
Old 14th March 2013, 02:13 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunau View Post
So, would a Class A amplifier with its constant draw be a perfect candidate for a SPS?
Perfect, I would say.

I have the project in paper, and haven't scanner, but with time I can draw in LTS or Express Schematic.
Old 14th March 2013, 11:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Having a quick look at ebay or elsewhere online SMPS tend to be expensive.
It seems only top end amps have SMPS at the moment.
SMPS can be disasterous when they go wrong. I have seen mine blow up both mosfets, the SMPS chip and the SMPS power supply components. And there is much more to go wrong in a SMPS.
Behringer do a 140 1000w amplifier with SMPS for about 140.
Actually not only Behringer but also Mackie has a line of SPS powered amps

Mackie - FRS Series Amplifiers

It seems that good SPS are becoming cheaper
Better to wait and see the feedback from users anyway
Maybe they will be not reliable
Regards,
gino
Old 15th March 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why are Switching power supplies so uncommon ?

"Uncommon" as in *all* PCs, *all* cellphone chargers, *all* TVs , *all* CD/*DVD players , *all* monitors, etc?

Well, besides the 5 to 10 SMPS present in every household, yes, *maybe* they could be considered somewhat uncommon
Old 15th March 2013, 12:24 AM   #15
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it would be hard to find a brand of professional amplifier that did not have some SMPS powered models. They may still make mostly linear supplied ones, but they all see the market as needing light weight models too, and that means SMPS. Consumer audio is probably a different story. COnsumers will feel that the amp that is 20 pounds heavier is of "better quality." They won;t see the light weight of an SMPS as an advantage.

I am talking about power amps, but increasing numbers of guitar amps are using them too. Rack mount processing gear is full of them, as well as many audio mixers. I remember the Yamaha SPX90 effects processor had an SMPS, and that was 20 some years ago.

Peavey has a whole line of them, the DPS1600, 1600 watts and weighs 7 pounds for example. I remember some Crest models with switchers on each channel, and that was before Peavey bought the company.

Any audio engineer can also design a linear power supply. To put an SMPS into an amp would require the company hire SMPS engineers or outsource the job. That right there is enough to cause some companies to go without.

It probably doesn't count, but I spent some time in the coin operated amusements field, and our arcade machines were running on SMPS over 30 years ago already. They were digital logic boards mainly, but they did have audio. SO I guess it almost relates.
Old 15th March 2013, 12:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
Any audio engineer can also design a linear power supply. To put an SMPS into an amp would require the company hire SMPS engineers or outsource the job. That right there is enough to cause some companies to go without.
There is quite a bit of maths involved with SMPS design.
Look up the datasheet for the irs27951.

I was given a spread sheet for the IRS27951 where I just input my output voltage and current and it gave me the transformer and control component values.
Old 15th March 2013, 02:57 AM   #17
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was given a spread sheet for the IRS27951 where I just input my output voltage and current and it gave me the transformer and control component values.
Any possibility of having a copy?
TIA.
Old 15th March 2013, 03:02 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFahey View Post
Any possibility of having a copy?
TIA.
If you pm lorylaci he has the original copy.
Mine has been bodged to suit my mosfets and transformer core.

A 27951 thread is here:
IRS27951 / IRS27952
Old 15th March 2013, 04:00 AM   #19
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of people do not use smps due to old stereotypes of the technology. The truth is that smps are at a point of being on par with linear ps when they are designed correctly. I am actually putting together a smps powered jlh amp at the moment and I am already impressed by the sound I am getting on my test speaker.

One project I want to try soon is a smps powered tube amp.
Old 15th March 2013, 04:20 AM   #20
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Properly filtered and shielded, it is just a box that puts out voltages. And like ANY power supply it must be up to the task of providing enough current and stand up to the vagaries of the load. It can make +400vDC, -70vDC, and 6vDC just as easily as making +5, +12, and whatever that we see every day.

I think a lot of consumers have antiquated views of SMPS, but I think the engineering community is well aware of its advantages and capabilites.

Hide this!Advertise here!