help identifying this part?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

Im a complete novice but have put my hands to a couple diy projects and have repaired some old synths. I recently bought an old M&M electronics mixing desk and have some problems with power. its should be giving 15v +- but is giving +14 -5. There is a cracked component on the power regulator. well I think? I took it to RS Components and none of the staff could help me. If anyone could take the time to help[ me out i would be very grateful.

It the sweet looking thing

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Try attaching the image directly :)

"To add a photo, files or non standard files.

First click "go advanced" in the box below the "quick reply" message box. Doesn't matter if you decide half way through a message to do that, it carries it foward.

Then click "Manage attachements". Maximise the new Window so that you can see all the text.

Click browse in the first box at the top and find your picture. Repeat for any more pictures.
Click upload... a message appears "uploading"
When complete the files will show as being attached. Now click the small text that says "close this window"

The pictures should now be attached and when you submit your post they will appear.

Make sure your pics aren't too big, a couple of 100k is plenty, and many members object when they are massive and it alters the margins
It tells you in the attachments window what max sizes are allowed.

If you want to attach a file that has a non standard format for example excel, circuit simulation etc then try putting the files in a zipped folder and attaching that.

is it a capacitor?

Attachments

• Power regulator.jpg
    Power regulator.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 76
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Any film type will be OK. Always nice to get one that fits the PCB if possible.

Have you removed it and measured it for leakage. I'm not saying its not faulty :) but I suspect that either its OK and the fault is elsewhere or if it really is faulty then it will have caused other damage along the way. It takes a lot of energy to burn a faulty cap, more than a small transistor regulator can give.

if memory serves me if that cap in the supply was blown i'd check all the faders no dis to these MM mixers but they did have one fatal flaw they varied gain by putting the fader to the inverting input of the opamp driving the mix buss which, if the faders go open (either from dirt or wear or broken connection) results in channel volume going to "11" which with open mic's usually turns into screaming feed back killing ears and horns and amps not to mention the opamp and supply.
so be wary and check the faders well!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.