Synthesizer power distribution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was able to repair the power supply on my synth. The 5VDC and the +/-15vdc are both good. Power seems to be where it should be on the Oscillator, filters etc. The 5VDC for the logic board is present but the machine is still dead. Many of the ICs have no available datasheets. Poking around blindly, there seems to be 5VDC in alot of places. Sanyo LC3517AL-15 Cmos is one example of and IC with 5 VDC on most of the pins I am not certain if this is normal. There is one diode on the board that is illuminated. I have never seen an illuminated diode before now (not an led)
I have tested for the obvious, simple defects and have found none. There is a transistor A564 that has 5 volts on the emitter, 5 volts on the collector and 4.2 volts on the base. This does not seem nornal to me. Any thoughts on this.

Attachments

• k-3.jpg
    k-3.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 65
You seem to be continuing from another thread I'm not familiar with, but I can make a couple of (hopefully) helpful suggestions.
Provide numbers for some of those "no available datasheets" ICs. It will help determine what you're working with. They may be obscure obsolete parts, or they may be "in-house number" chips.
5V in alot of places is a good sign actually; the system seems to be powered normally. The 80C31 MCU and 74xx chips are 5V-compatible.
The illuminated diode is, technically, a LED. Is it surface-mount, or just an uncommon package?
Those transistor is a PNP and likely operating correctly.
Is the clock oscillating?
What datasheets can't you find? The MCU and logic should be easy to find. The programmable memory should be easy, too, but if they've gone bad the chance of replacement success is likely slim to none.
If you hadn't noticed, I'm poking around blindly also.:)

I just downloaded a 10 page pdf. Everything is there but I am overwhelmed by it. The troubleshooting page says "No lights, replace CPU-09 which is the entire logic board. I feel like diagnosing the board id beyond me and I am tempted to pull the SSM2044 filters and build a vcf. I know it is a copout but this unit is discouraging.

It may not be as dead as I thought. From that era with not much going on. I have been fighting for a few hours and found no positive voltage on any l.e.d. s. The transistor is 2SA874R. I can find no information on the transistor. There is 12Volts on either side of the transistor but nothing coming out. I do not quite understand PNP and BCE but hopefully I will soon! Does this diagram specify PNP or NPN?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
2SA874 will be PNP. That means the emitter (99% will be one of the end pins) will be at some supply voltage (you say 5 volts). The base needs to be pulled "low" to turn it on. Voltage wise E and B may appear similar but the base should be around 0.7 volts lower than the emitter when its turned on. That should put 5 volts on the collector.

Pins 9, 10, 11 and 12 put out 12 Volts. Based on the datasheet for the HC139, the outputs can only be High on these pins in a group of 4. There is no option for them being all four "low". Based on this circuit, what is going to be required to provide collector voltage?

Attachments

• led driver 2.PNG
    led driver 2.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Those transistors will be driven by a "logic" type output. To turn a transistor on those pins have to go to zero volts. That pulls base current through the E-B junction and whatever voltage is on the emitter (5V ?) then appears at the collector as well. But... the drive may be strobed and not simply static voltages.

You need a scope to check the clock (and for most fault finding really)

Faults usually fall into certain categories. You must check all the supplies. You must check any clock oscillators are running and you must check the status of any reset pins on any microprocessors.

You need to find a way into a fault if you are struggling. Is there a power on LED ? Does it light ? If not then look purely for the reason why that is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.