power amp and extern supply ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
any experience with this ?

especially interested to know about connectors etc

photos would be nice too....anything goes :)

For preamps I have used Neutrik Speakon pro audio connectors with great success (the metal ones). Voltages up to 400VDC no problem so far, even though they are not rated for such use. The pins on the chassis and cable connectors are large, well spaced and easy to solder to, so I can use 15.5ga. litz wire for my returns with no problems. Nice satisfying "click" when they engage, as well.

Check out the pictures.

The specific parts are:

NEUTRIK NL8MPR-BAG SPEAKON 8 POLE CHASSIS MOUNT
NEUTRIK NLT8FX SPEAKON STX 8P FEMALE CABLE CONNECTOR NICKEL

Available at Parts Express.

Attachments

• Chenin Umbilical 006.jpg
    Chenin Umbilical 006.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 26 Preamp.jpg
    26 Preamp.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 209
  • Chenin Umbilical 002.jpg
    Chenin Umbilical 002.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
great posts, thanks

since its high curent, I might use a 3-pin IEC, also mentioned by redshift/Tyler

but its really a standard for mains voltage, so I have to make sure noone connects it to mains

solution
mains power chassis plug is always a male , and detachable mains cable have female connector
so, power supply could have female chassis plugs as DC output
and power amp mounted with fixed cable having a male connector

using ultra short cable, and angled connector, it could be ok

Attachments

• F5 Juma 2013 313.png
    F5 Juma 2013 313.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 145
Why not use an Industrial Power connector?
There are tons of them, they are designed for exactly that purpose and NONE is even remotely close to a line power connector, which is the most dangerous design idea in the world.
Here you have a few.
Jones Plugs & Sockets | Mouser

No need to use incompatible XLR/Speakon/Line/etc. connectors which to boot have the high possibility of causing terrible mistakes.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
.... and NONE is even remotely close to a line power connector, which is the most dangerous design idea in the world.
Here you have a few.

thanks, I have never seen those

yes its as you say very dangerous and wrong to use AC line power connectors for DC

and the female chassis plug I suggested to use as DC output is designed for AC output chassis plug , yes
but personally I have never seen any
but Im not happy about it either, no
and one reason why I intended to mount a fixed cable on power amp, with male connector...its fits nowhere else

but still looking for the right one

great posts, thanks

since its high curent, I might use a 3-pin IEC, also mentioned by redshift/Tyler

but its really a standard for mains voltage, so I have to make sure noone connects it to mains

solution
mains power chassis plug is always a male , and detachable mains cable have female connector
so, power supply could have female chassis plugs as DC output
and power amp mounted with fixed cable having a male connector

using ultra short cable, and angled connector, it could be ok

No. Use something that is different than what your mains power is. It's the only safe solution.

IEC comes in a big variety, you don't need to use the same ones as your mains. I didn't.

My mains on the left. My DC cable on the right:

Attachments

• IEC_60320_C13-C14.jpg
    IEC_60320_C13-C14.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IEC_60320_C19-C20.jpg
    IEC_60320_C19-C20.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.