Request help with odd looking CCS fed shunt reg circuit and load current ability.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I understand the BF245A CCS, and without source resistor it runs at IDSS which will be 2 to 6.5mA, depending.

The circuit supplies 5VDC at 25mA.

Obviously not all of the load current comes via the CCS and I'm used to CCS fed shunt regs for tube circuits where the CCS supplies ALL of the current for both the shunt and the load.. so I'm a bit lost.

The question is, if I change the load to 5VDC at 1mA, will it still function without changing any other values?

This isnt for some mental exercise, I'm just needing to use some existing supplies for a different application that require considerably less current.

Thanks,
Shane
shunt-reg.jpg

Last edited:
The Darlington pair needs to supply at least 2mA (or thereabouts) in order to switch on the second transistor. If not, the output voltage will rise by about 0.6-0.7V. Your 1k load is already taking 5mA, so all is fine. The circuit is overkill for supplying 1mA, but as you already have it it won't do any harm.

How to determin the maximum current the supply can provide, assuming the transformer winding is not the limiting factor?.

Would 50mA seem ok?

Thanks,
Shane

I'll check the data sheet.. I can say that with 25ma the BD139 does get a bit warm.

Seems the idea with this scheme is to establish a voltage reference and then buffer its output with the darlington pair and avoiding the feedback inherent to a series ccs to shunt regulator circuit?

I wonder if theres much to be gained by using two inductors, one in the +ve rail after the ccs, and another in the ground cct between the zener and the 1k//cap, to help decouple it from the rest of the power supply and have better control of the current loops between the load and the final cap in the reg?

Application has 6 of these in a D/A converter cct.

Thanks,
Shane

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.