Voltage doubler?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not sure but this looks like a voltage doubler? It is for a tube amp and I think that it probably can be upgraded or redesigned maybe, most voltage doublers I have seen have about double the components. If someone could please explain what is going on here it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• power supply.JPG
    power supply.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 231
It's rather simple realy.There are two halfwave rectifiers.The positive one goes though D101 charging C101 and the negative half by D102 to charge C103 with it's lower end at gndlevel (just outside the picture).Since one is on top of the other you get dubble voltage.
Mona

Economical reasons I suppose.If you put a extra idental winding on the transfo with two diodes to C101 and C103 it becomes a bridgerectifier.In stead off a 60Hz ripple it is now a 120Hz smaller one.Normaly that's better but if it isn't nessesairy why make the extra cost.
Mona

Why would this be used instead of say a bridge rectifier? I usually see a full wave bridge rectifier on most designs.

can be used to get symmetric -250v / -0 / +250v from a single transformer winding
or two different voltages like +250v / +500v from a single transformer winding
depending where you put "ground"

- is sometimes mis-labeled Greinacher Circuit (should be named Delon Circuit though)

Jochen's High Voltage Page : Basic multiplier circuits
Voltage doubler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

can be used to get symmetric -250v / -0 / +250v from a single transformer winding
or two different voltages like +250v / +500v from a single transformer winding
depending where you put "ground"

- is sometimes mis-labeled Greinacher Circuit (should be named Delon Circuit though)

Jochen's High Voltage Page : Basic multiplier circuits
Voltage doubler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you so much for this explanation!!!! I was thinking of a Greinacher Circuit in my head which is different. It is indeed a Delon circuit!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.