diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Power Supplies (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/)
-   -   PC PSU for [in PC] Audio use (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/228650-pc-psu-pc-audio-use.html)

KMossman 25th January 2013 10:47 PM

PC PSU for [in PC] Audio use

I did search but came up empty...

Who has actually a switching PSU for audio [in a PC]?

[ie tap off the +- 12V rails]

What problems arose?

How did you solve them?

Can you share the audio circuit or describe it?

Thank you!

AndrewT 26th January 2013 09:47 AM

I want to do similar. I have a 500W PSU that looks OK internally.

Remove the -12Vac and remove the +5Vac windings from the main transformer.
Double the number of turns of the +12Vac winding to get ~+24Vdc from the output.

I would like to know how to modify the PSU to achieve this.

oz7aff 26th January 2013 09:52 AM

Try the HAM Radio world, they are rebuilding lot's of PC PSU's to feed transmitters and recievers and they also want no noise.

@AndrewT, a problem with you'r idea could be that the 5VDC often is the main circuit in these PSU's.

KMossman 26th January 2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz7aff (Post 3342835)
Try the HAM Radio world, they are rebuilding lot's of PC PSU's to feed transmitters and recievers and they also want no noise.

@AndrewT, a problem with you'r idea could be that the 5VDC often is the main circuit in these PSU's.

There is no way that I would to mess around with the internals of high power PSU - you are a braver man than me Gunda Din!

I wanted to tap off the +- 12V rails to power a 'booster' amp - sometimes the audio signal level is just too low on my PC, and want to amplify it - put a X20 op-amp between the audio card output and speaker/amp system.

I have heard talk of interference and noise associated with a switching PSU but few people actually seemed to have tried it.

oz7aff 26th January 2013 09:23 PM

I have a RIAA amplifier build into my PC, the power supply for it is taken from the +12VDC rail in the computer, I have inset a 100uH coil in the power lead and it reduced the noise to a very low level.

RIAA-PC-PCB-MONT

KMossman 26th January 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oz7aff (Post 3343630)
I have a RIAA amplifier build into my PC, the power supply for it is taken from the +12VDC rail in the computer, I have inset a 100uH coil in the power lead and it reduced the noise to a very low level.

RIAA-PC-PCB-MONT

Thanks 'OZ'.

I was thinking/hoping a pi filter (2 caps, say 0.68uf, in series, with a choke between them) might do the trick. Good to know that just a choke worked, especially with a RIAA amp.

gychang 27th January 2013 01:33 AM

this guy converts PC PS to just 12V and plays car stereo at home. How to hook up Computer Power supply CPU to Power a Amp & Cd Player.. SO CHEAP AND EASY - YouTube

gychang

KMossman 27th January 2013 05:38 AM

Thank you! Sadly though - I reside in mainland China - YouTube is blocked here. So I can not see the video.

metalsculptor 27th January 2013 08:13 AM

I have not tried to use any newer pc power supplies but the older ones regulate off the +5V rail and need some load on this, the +12V rail is unregulated and the -12V rail is low current provided by a 3 terminal regulator only 0.25 or 0.5A as it was mainly to power serial ports

KMossman 27th January 2013 08:19 AM

I believe that is true for the new PSUs as well - they need a load.

Perhaps I was not clear .............. I intend to use the PSU inside the PC .... not stand-alone, to power a dual op-amp to boost the existing PC audio.

I did not know that the +12V was unregulated.........should be ok, else use a simple transistor/zener reg [say for 9V]................ -12V at 0.25A is still ok for me!

THANK YOU!