Laptop power supply for T1 Hifimediy amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Laptop power supply for T1 Hifimediy amp?

I used this one to power my T1 amplifier, with recommendation of DC range is 24V - 39V. Someone suggested this HP C7296 60024 AC DC Power Adapter for Officejet Printers Free Shipping 339 | eBay I thought one I bought was defective since when the input source from AC outlet (desktop CD or PC) is connected, it hums that gets louder with volume up. I bought one more same adapter with same result. My 12v t-amp works without humming at all when connected to the same source. I thought maybe it is not the power supply since when connected to iphone the sound is very good without hum. Same setup in another room with the same hum and even with 2 prong outlet connection.

Hifimediy suggests it is a power supply issue but their recommended PS is $45. If u have T1 amp, can u suggests a cheaper PS that work without any problem?

gychang
Old 27th January 2013, 12:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm using the smaller one with a Lenovo 20V power supply. Lenovo adapters are super cheap on eBay and of really good quality. It's switched on non-stop for cca. 6 months now and there is absolutely no problem at all. No noise / buzz what I could hear.
Old 27th January 2013, 01:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erozsolt View Post
I'm using the smaller one with a Lenovo 20V power supply. Lenovo adapters are super cheap on eBay and of really good quality. It's switched on non-stop for cca. 6 months now and there is absolutely no problem at all. No noise / buzz what I could hear.
I like to have higher voltage if possible, thanks for the suggestion, may have to look around ebay or local goodwill store...

gychang
Old 27th January 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gychang View Post
I like to have higher voltage if possible, thanks for the suggestion, may have to look around ebay or local goodwill store...

gychang
I'm using it with the T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V, for that one 20V is perfect. I wouldn't spend $30 on a cheap charger, you can get the SMPS300R for a bit more. HP printer adapters might be an alternative.
Old 27th January 2013, 02:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erozsolt View Post
I'm using it with the T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V, for that one 20V is perfect. I wouldn't spend $30 on a cheap charger, you can get the SMPS300R for a bit more. HP printer adapters might be an alternative.
tried HP adapter and causes humming...
Old 23rd February 2013, 03:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

bought T1 amp few weeks ago. first i use it with 2x12v batteries, later bought used SPU65-108 notebook power supply (24-27V 3.33A). works great, no hum, no noise, no any difference with batteries power setup. used with 2 x 6Ω@45W speakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!