Any value in using reclaimed inductors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently acquired some old stage lighting controllers that I have begun to harvest some components from. Among the items are some heavy duty inductors. I'm curious if they have any use in a PSU, say for CLC filtering.

They are air gapped laminated iron E-I cores wound with 4mm x 4mm wire (actually square wire). Has two layers of windings for as near as I can tell a total of only 22 turns. The centre post is 32mm x 32mm. The value seems fairly low, a quick & dirty measurement showed around 77uH of inductance and series resistance is negligible (my meter reading was the same as just the probes shorted together).

Put them to some kind of use or scrap them? Opinions?

Last edited:
What you are talking about is probably a line reactor, they are low inductance high current, good for taming charging current pulses on large of line inverters and probably used to reduce dI/dt in a phase controlled lighting circuit. They might work in a low voltage high current supply if they have some gap, in the core.

Well we know the original application. The reduction of switching surges for individual 4kW dimmer modules. My question was wether or not could they have any other purpose, or are they largely useless for an audio application. It seems they are or limited use as they sit due to their low value of inductance. They will likely go out with the next pile of scrap. Thanks for the input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.