Laptop Charger & Battery Management

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to power an audio circuit board which draws a maximum current about 85mA ( 4 x NE5532/JRC4559 + 2x OPA2132 + 1 LED)). Now,I am exploring the possibilities of powering it with 6 x 3.7v (22.2v) Li-ion (either 18500 or 14500) batteries in series and incorporate a battery PCM board primarily for optimal current consumption & as a protection for the batteries!

I contacted a manufacturer,who is willing to supply me 1-2 boards, but wants to know the maximum discharge current for factory adjustment prior to dispatch. Here below is a typical PCM board with Charge/discharge currents between 4-12A

BRIEF SPECIFICATIONS OF THE PCM

Maximum Charge Current = 12A (can be adjusted)
Maximum Discharge Current = 12A (can be adjusted)
Balanced Current Single Cell = 42 +/-5mA (85mA version available)

Q:So, what should be the the Maximum discharge current limit?

Secondly, is it possible to charge li-ion batteries in series connected to a PCM board on a NON TRICKLE LAPTOP CHARGER, if ever there is one?

This is my first ever entry into the world of rechargeable batteries so I am a little drained on this subject, although I'd like to think that I know a little more now than I did a week ago! So any advice from an/ expert(s) out there would be most welcome!

Last edited:
Looks like my post/thread got drowned in the loudness war...so let me try again.

I am trying to power a small preamp drawing about 85-100mA max with 6 x 3.7v Li-ion batteries. I'm also planning on incorporating a PCM board to optimize the batteries for efficiency & safty.

The PCM is rated @ Max Charge/discharge current of 12amps,but this could be adjusted by the factory to my specifications.

So, should I specify the maximum discharge current to 100mA?

Secondly,I wonder if it is possible at all to use a laptop charger to charge these batteries? If so, what should be the correct voltage & current ratings of the charger, say for instance to charge 6 x 3.7v/3A or 4A batteries. Btw,the batteries will be connected in series to the PCM & would be charged through it.

What should be the maximum charge current then for 3 & 4 amps/batteries?

Trickle charging of Li-ion batteries is not recommended,so would this be a problem? All laptop chargers are of this type I gather! On the other hand,the charger will be disconnected when the pre is in use, so this shouldn't present any problems right?

The little I know so far about li-ion batt. is what I've read & understood in the last 2 weeks,so my knowledge is definitely drained flat or basic a.t.m!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.