retail inverter (12VDC->120 VAC) for auto? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default retail inverter (12VDC->120 VAC) for auto?

First, I am not a candidate to build anything DIY!!!

What I'd like to do: get a f**king LOUD stereo in my car. I don't want to spend much money. I already have on hand "home" equipment that "might" work: I am thinking a pair of Bose 901s, an EQ, and (here is the tricky one) a Behringer NU3000 amp. I have a small, cheap Cobra (170 watt) inverter. The Behringer manual says 170 watts, the rear panel says 350 watts (take your pick). Has anyone ever tried something like this? Based on the little research I've done, this might work. Unless someone warns against (and probably even if they do) I can "field test" this idea by simply running an extension cord out the window to my car
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Won't work. Period.
How can you expect to deliver 3kW from an amplifier which is powered by an inverter which delivers 170 (or even 350) watts?
Old 15th January 2013, 04:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This has been mentioned before for amps similar to the NU3000: Can an amp that is rated for up to 1500 watt/channel (peak) only draw 350 watts? I don't know enough about electronics to know if the 350 Watt rating is average or may peak higher.
Old 15th January 2013, 05:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Are U sure to put 3.5KW inside a car? In my entire house, I have only 12W per channel (TDA2006) and I can't support more than 1/2 volume control turn.

What about neighbor drivers? Will you listen a emergency stop or fireman alarms? Is it legal to put such a volume level in your country/town?

Ure definitively crazy, guy!
Old 17th January 2013, 05:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Go to Harbor Freight Tools or somewhere similar and buy a 2000W (or larger) Power Inverter to power your equipment. A 2000W Inverter exceeds the 120V/15A (1800W) capacity of a typical wall outlet, so you should be good.

Don't be persuaded by folks here telling you that you have too much watts. More is better, PERIOD. If you have a loud enough amp, you won't be playing distorted music to achieve the loudness you require.

Some people hear better/worse than others, so your old school audio folks may be happy with just a 1W ClassA amplifier, but NOT ME, I can barely hear ALL the notes in the songs at such low powers, and I'm happy with at least 5-10W for a very small system, or several hundred watts for an average system. I lost a 600W DIY amp I built myself in a house fire, and personally nothing else I hear is loud (and clear) enough for my satisfaction, compared to my old amp.

Also, many newer speakers are not very efficient and they need more power to get as loud as many older speakers, but they sound better quality wise.
Old 17th January 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

all car audio freaks are going deaf very quickley this is why they need more spl, more spl more damage to hearing.And the cycle continues now when they are deaf most will claim some sort of disability benefit ... Self inflicted injurys should get nothing ...ANY way driving down the street shakind all the houses you pass is a bit last week
Old 17th January 2013, 06:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That amplifier behringer inuke nu3000 was measured and draws 1600 watts flatout. The test used impulses to measure the power requirments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldermizer View Post
This has been mentioned before for amps similar to the NU3000: Can an amp that is rated for up to 1500 watt/channel (peak) only draw 350 watts? I don't know enough about electronics to know if the 350 Watt rating is average or may peak higher.

Last edited by madtecchy; 17th January 2013 at 06:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!