Power Transformer size influence on preamp sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If 100 VA is enough will 200 then be better ?

Many high end designs are based on this premise. IME though transformer design often trumps raw size as far as sound is concerned. Still, all things being equal bigger is generally better. It may, of course be purely coincidental, i.e. physically larger transformers may also have lower parasitic capacitance between windings.

Many high end designs are based on this premise. IME though transformer design often trumps raw size as far as sound is concerned. Still, all things being equal bigger is generally better. It may, of course be purely coincidental, i.e. physically larger transformers may also have lower parasitic capacitance between windings.

not sure about lower parasitic capacitance since bigger traffo will have longer or greater coil area....i do however leans towards trying to oversize all my traffo builds...

Surely it only makes a difference if you haven't got the output voltages decently smoothed, let alone regulated.

My preamp uses a 10VA transformer. The only reason it's not still a 6VA unit is because I wanted slightly higher secondary voltages for more Vreg headroom (not available in original trafo core series): but the total draw is still under 5VA.

Temporarily swapping this for something >>20x greater VA rating didn't make a damn of difference on measurement, nor an audible improvement (I'd keep it if so)

Meanwhile the small unit being split-bobbin has useful leakage inductance and secondary resitance and very, very low Cap coupling pri:secondary and as a result - does what I want

Been wondering this myself, being new to electroacoustics and all, and seeing how a lot of high end gear has ginormous power transformers, and equally large price tags for said transformers...

I'm looking to power individual console input modules requiring ±17vDC (and hopefully another 48vDC if it'll all fit) and stuffing each into a 1U rack space. I'd like to get the best value without spending more than it's worth, and I can't afford a huge toroidal, and admittedl don't understand why that's preferred to begin with.

what's this VA rating thee speakth of?

Thank you ! And more capacity on regulators will compensate for a smaller transformer ?

It won't. More capacitance will present a heavier load for both transformers and rectifiers. Results are unpredictable at best.

There may be some science explaining the optimum ratio between power, current capacity, impedance and diode ringing but it's far from clear. Nothing gets you results as fast as comparing several trafos and various amounts of capacitance with your own ears feeding the preamp/dac in question.

It may turn out you really cannot hear the difference between a 10 and a 100VA transformer :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.