Power supply resistor matching - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2013, 07:35 AM   #21
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

or grid stoppers....i use carbon comps here, G1 and g2 and i do not even bother to match them....
Old 5th January 2013, 08:04 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
or grid stoppers....i use carbon comps here, G1 and g2 and i do not even bother to match them....
without a schematic it is difficult to assess the effect. For a differential pair, using unmatched resistors can reduce the PSRR of that stage. If the subsequent stages are single ended then it is unlikely that the effects of unmatched resistors will be noticed.
Old 5th January 2013, 08:10 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

i think that MGH has his head into tube amps, he has been asking these types of questions for as long as i can remember....

his questions are always too general so that a myriad of responses are the outcome....

i hope he has gotten over the OPT thread wherein he kinda got depressed....when shown the Dynaco transformer data sheets....

my recomendation to MGH is to search for the postings of PRR for starters, he will pick up a lot in those posts, no snake oil guaranteed....
Old 5th January 2013, 08:12 AM   #24
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
without a schematic it is difficult to assess the effect. For a differential pair, using unmatched resistors can reduce the PSRR of that stage. If the subsequent stages are single ended then it is unlikely that the effects of unmatched resistors will be noticed.
what i look for is in the finished amp, is it stable and quiet? no hum, no hiss......
Old 5th January 2013, 11:45 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

My responses were general and applicable to tube circuits, I know few DIY audio tube amp builders use differential pairs but they were used in instrumentation and professional audio toward the end of the tube era. Electrically there is little difference between a tube circuit and a FET circuit, especially those using depletion mode FETS.

Tube output transformers are certainly a challenge for a transformer designer.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:29 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

in a tube LTP splitter stage anode loads are deliberately mismatched.....in any case, understanding how a circuit functions is more important than matching resistors......knowing when and where is also just as important......

Hide this!Advertise here!