Linear power supply for pc - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 08:40 AM   #81
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
If they are the recordings with the DRM, most certainly a scam of a different kind not very common so I didn't even consider them

Not sure if i make any sense of the above. What has DRM to do with anything?

Never ever heard of hi-res? Never seen modern ADC specs?
Old 11th January 2013, 08:41 AM   #82
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ahh OK....
Old 11th January 2013, 09:13 AM   #83
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
you arent reading properly, galvanic isolation is before the synchronous reclocking stage but after fifo buffer, proven to work as designed with measurements the other day at 2ps or less output jitter after the flip-flops/clock buffers. everything before the dual clock board (with dual CCHD975 in my case) is walled off and the i2s reclocked with the new master clock, which is also the ESS clock
I missed this reply. Glad it works. I dont use/like the ESS dac so things are a bit more complicated than that, but I see Ian making progresses

Galvanic Isolation protects the DAC fron contamination from the pc usb connection but does nothing about the pollution coming from the mains (spread there by poor SMPTS units). So my solution of (properly) lifting from ground all analog components still stands ground (pun intended).
Old 11th January 2013, 09:17 AM   #84
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
One of the best books (if not thee) is Henry Otts Electromagnetic Compatability Engineering, a must for anyone involved in electronic design, PCB layout, system building etc
http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/pcb_guide.pdf
My favorite:
http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/pcb_guide.pdf
Amazon link?
Old 11th January 2013, 09:25 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
Amazon link?
Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering: Henry W. Ott: 9780470189306: Amazon.com: Books

EMC Books

Detail contents page:

Detailed Table of Contents
Old 11th January 2013, 09:29 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I missed this reply. Glad it works. I dont use/like the ESS dac so things are a bit more complicated than that, but I see Ian making progresses

Galvanic Isolation protects the DAC fron contamination from the pc usb connection but does nothing about the pollution coming from the mains (spread there by poor SMPTS units). So my solution of (properly) lifting from ground all analog components still stands ground (pun intended).
The brand of DAC is irrelevant in the case that qusp described, it was only his example.

If the DAC of your preference takes and i2s input then current FIFO works fine, if you want a DAC that needs pcm input then Ian's working on a solution for that too.

I do not believe that a well designed mains derived power supply should suffer conducted noise from that source.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:20 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Never ever heard of hi-res? Never seen modern ADC specs?
No Idea what Hi res is certainly non of the music I listen to is ever published on it, I have used ADC's to 500 Megasamples per second in designs so fairly modern stuff I doubt there is anything new on the ADC front that I am not aware of, audio does seem to defy the laws of physics so who knows.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:53 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsculptor View Post
No Idea what Hi res is certainly non of the music I listen to is ever published on it,
Ah, well, things have moved forward for the rest of us. Time to update your knowledge base.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:33 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
haha hmm methinks I will need to prioritise, why the hell dont they offer an Ebook version? or do they?
There is an ebook version available through Wiley: Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering

But ... it is restricted see details here Wiley: Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering

Quote:
  • E-books are non-returnable and non-refundable.
  • You'll need Adobe Digital Editions software to read an Adobe DRM e-book, which can be downloaded for free at adobe.com.
  • PLEASE NOTE: Adobe Digital Editions does not currently support read aloud capabilities.
  • E-books must be downloaded within 14 days of purchase.
  • You can download your e-book .acsm file up to four separate times on different computers. The link to do so will be accessible in the My Account section of this web site, or from the confirmation e-mail we send you after your purchase.
  • Once downloaded, an e-book file (Adobe PDF or Adobe e-Pub) can't be simply moved to a different computer. To do so, you will need to use ADE and the Adobe ID that was used to authorize that computer.
  • You can copy/paste up to one full page of text of your e-book, for a total of 15 pages per year.
  • Diagrams, figures, and artwork from the e-book can't be copied and pasted.
So based on that I decided the savings weren't worth it and got the hard copy.
Old 11th January 2013, 02:23 PM   #90
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

One of the biggest if not the biggest polluter of the mains (excluding power line communications, which is deliberatly adding noise!) is actually HVAC and lack of power factor correction.
I like hard copies of books, but for research etc a searchable PDF is great. At one time you could get the IPC c1000 series of specs on CD for not a lot of money, now it is thousands of dollars, whereas paper copies are about a grand. To many people do illegal copies so we have to suffer or pay big money.

Hide this!Advertise here!