Linear power supply for pc - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 02:54 PM   #51
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think I already know who it is, even though i've not read it before.

I have named these anti-bits 'Dark Bits' the ones that can still corrupt the sound of bit-perfect data, just data, no timing information, just data, bit perfect, yet immeasurably corrupt data.... as per usual the audible effects are night and day, fatiguing usually....

these bits are there to stay too, it doesnt matter the check-sum is fine, once corrupted like this its all over, it gets worse the more times its copied too, the more servers it passes through. nevermind that on SSD especially its spread over multiple locations and moved around constantly as VM has its way.

it does seem to be reduced if less processes are running on the computer when playing it though and even more if a linear or even better, battery supply is used
Old 7th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #52
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The digital audio equivilent of the Higson particle...
I like the 'Dark Bits' name, it conjours up images of an anti audiophile demon, the Darth Vader of digital audio design, and to quote said gentleman...
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
and as I am in a rather silly mood, another:
"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since.......I swapped my linear supply for a dark SMPS"

Last edited by marce; 7th January 2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Inane comments added
Old 8th January 2013, 08:52 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

This thread is becoming entertaining I always like how that evil RF can find its way into the best audio systems and corrupt them. Funny how I can stand next to a waveguide with over a MW inside yet my mobile phone with uV sensitivity to similar frequencies works perfectly.
That evil RF must sense when audiophile systems are being operated before working it's evil.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:56 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

ahh yes, they would be metahertz =)
Old 8th January 2013, 09:08 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

yes indeed marce those were the sort of images I had in mind too... like the Higgs, perhaps what is needed to uncover this phenomenon in the light of day is some sort of massive underground electrical super-conductor-collider? constructed of Ex Russian Military Surplus of amorphous alloy, powered with batteries.... or the existing accelerator and satellite network they used re-tooled for tracking data/bits?

Last edited by qusp; 8th January 2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:22 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Yet another thread has started up regarding the evils of digital, boy am I glad that:
1> My system is unable to resolve detaill in the music to a great extent, so I cant here how bad my PC-Squeezbox-amp-speakers sounds.
2> I am probably 90% deaf (or daft) as I cant realy here the digital distortion (funny though I can here the imperfections when I play my records!)
3> I am personaly immune from all the RF noise in the world that ruins the music as I wear underpants hand crafted from aluminium foil, this has been my best and most effective mod yet to combat the attack of the 'Dark Bits'. i find the boxer short pattern with no flap superior to the y-front design, I believe the little slot lets some dark bits sneak in.
4> I tend to listen to the music and not concentrate on the noise, RF and the missis nagging.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:49 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

alluminium? marce I had given you more credit than that, surely copper foil gauss would be more effective at these frequencies?

however as opposed to the alloy, copper foil pants need changing more often from the oxidisation

Last edited by qusp; 8th January 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 01:11 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

I'm cheap. A Malteaser brought up in Yorkshire..
Old 8th January 2013, 01:55 PM   #59
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I'm cheap. A Malteaser brought up in Yorkshire..

Guys... lets try and keep on track here.
Old 8th January 2013, 02:09 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

My appologies, a bit of light relief to combat the stress etc etc

Hide this!Advertise here!