Network Analyser Measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Klaus, have you been busy developing and tweaking inductance-cancellation circuits?

I noticed that you hadn't posted for over a week and was imagining that you were spending a lot of time trying to develop a practical inductance-cancellation configuration, maybe with a PCB with etched spiral inductors. That would actually be very nice, because then maybe we could use just a few large capacitors and not worry so much about a having large array board.

Cheers,

Tom

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Today for something different and quite exiting : Inductance Cancellation of Filter Capacitors.

In an IEEE paper from 2004 [1] a technique is described how to lower the apparent ESL of a filter capacitor (three terminals; in, ground, out) by means of coupled inductances. This creates a negative inductance counteracting the capacitor intrinsic and wiring inductance, alongside with producing higher input/output inductance (not a bat thing) and more radiated magnetic and electric field energy at RF frequencies (less so).

[1] Filters and Components With Inductance Cancellation,
Timothy C. Neugebauer, Student Member, IEEE, Joshua W. Phinney, Student Member, IEEE, and
David J. Perreault, Member, IEEE,
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON INDUSTRY APPLICATIONS, VOL. 40, NO. 2, MARCH/APRIL 2004, Pg. 483ff.

Thanks!

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/George.GP/My%20Documents/Downloads/86933.pdf

George

While we're at it, they also have a paper on capacitance cancellation for inductors, again using a clever transformer scheme.

-------:--------

Now this stuff is 10 years old but I haven't seen any commercial components/filters that explicitly use these cancellation schemes for standard applications like mains filtering, in consumer/audio devices????

Attachments

• CapacitanceCancellation.pdf
    161.1 KB · Views: 105
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.