Audio Alchemy DDE V 3.0 question

PSU for the analogue part of the circuit

I would be happy for any advice.

My Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 DAC does often not power up correctly. One or the other channel does not play.

Now, I recognized the fault within the shown psu part.

Sometimes, the positive or the negative voltage fails during startup. When the output voltage is O.K. I measure 7.5V over the zener diodes. When the output voltage is not O.K., some 0.7V over the zeners.

All LED's are always lighting.

My questions:

- What could be the reason for this fault?
- Why are the opamps supplied with heathsinks, why do they get hot by design in this circuit?

Franz

No answers here, so I looked in my theory books :)
This subcircuit isnt very good, same as LM7815/LM7915.
And I found this comment in Audio Alchemy (DDE V3.0)

But i've looked into the schematic I found on the Internet and the problem is a very very very and VERY unstable +/-15V stabilizer circuit.
It looks like this section was designed by a nono because you have luck when this circuit is working at starting up the system.
I’ve made some fast modifications and now the +/-15V section starts up AND is stable.
I'm thinking about chaning tis section complete by inserting a shunt-regulator.

Any idea, what could be the fast modification? Dont pull the voltage for the bias zener (D32/D37) from the output but from the input?

Franz

I did it

My monologue :D
I repaired my Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 DAC successfully, it is starting up now without problems!
As it seems to be a common problem with this devices, this posting could be helpful for other owners.
What I did:
Just removed the zener diodes and the 499R resistors on one side, joined it in the air and connected it with a 1k2 resistor to pin 4 or pin 8 of the opamp.
Before:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After mod:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Franz

/Edit
After posting this pictures, I remarked a loose piece of wire in the second picture, reopened the box and removed it. Good luck, isn't it?

Last edited:
As the images are lost and I also cannot find them on my harddisk anymore, here at least the schematics image of the mentionned modifications.

Hope this helps!
Franz
Schaltungskorrektur.jpg

And I just reopened the device to shot new images. Here we go!

Carefully read this description:
Just removed the zener diodes and the 499R resistors on one side, joined it in the air and connected it with a 1k2 resistor to pin 4 or pin 8 of the opamp.

20220105 modification overview.jpg
20220105 modification view 1.jpg
20220105 modification view 2.jpg
20220105 modification view 3.jpg

Last edited: