Energy EW-100 Subwoofer transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a dead powered sub. The transformer is stamped
042-010078-000ZR. I have no idea what I need to repair or how to determine a value for replacement. Does anybody have a schematic? Can I repair this. There appears to be continuity in the primaries but no output. The amp is said to have 225 Watts secondaries are center tapped.
Thanks

Look thruout the inside of the unit, use a decent magnifying glass...look very closely ... take lots of pictures, close-ups ...post them here.Someone might have seen such an amp. Sometimes the amp section will have voltages written on the PCB coming in from the PS....EG. +35V -35V
It is a starting point at least...Klipsch will want to repair it for you of course$$...and surely wont tell you the specs on the transformer..nor is their likely a schematic easily available.

____________________________________________________________Rick...

This post is very old, but I picked up the same sub on craigslist with issues and in my searches I came across this post.

I was unfortunate to find that the person that tried to fix it didn't know about the thermal fuse and, when prying at it, broke some turns on the transformer.

So, I hooked up my 4ohm load gave it a 1Vp-p sine wave on the input, injected +/- Voltage and increased until the output didn't clip. (I simplified this greatly).

Long story short, I found that a 48V 100VA center tapped transformer is needed to power this guy. Or this is at least what should be used to get the proper output.

Now I am on my search for an inexpensive transformer to suit the needs.

Just to update. I purchased a Hammond 186F48, a 48V CT 100VA, transformer a while ago and hooked it up but killed my amp right away.

I shelved it for a while until recently I found a couple bad transistors in the standby circuitry. I replaced those, hooked my transformer back up, and it is now capable of putting out enough voltage for 110W at no load. However, under a 4 ohm load the supply dips, the output clips and it is able to put out around 68W.

I consider this a win and say that this transformer is a worthy replacement. I needed to make an adapter plate so it fastened to the same holes but it looks more beefy and I think it will last longer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.